Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking for a place for a soul healing from religious trauma

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 7:55 pm
I was raised orthodox in a very typical orthodox in town community. I experienced many hardships throughout my life and for many reasons I won't go into, we stopped living a religious life. I've endured a lot of religious trauma, along with being shunned by family members for the way I have chosen to live and raise my family. That being said, I have never been interested in any other denomination of Judaism. Recently we have found ourselves wanting to reconnect. Our young children are getting older and we realize we need to be consistent with our beliefs and practices. We are looking to heal and start anew. We want to raise our kids with a relationship with God and with our morals and value system. And we are looking for a community that will help us do that. Is there even a place that would make sense for us? We don't want a typical community. We are not your typical family. We need a place that is diverse, non judgemental, and welcoming. A community that is focused on connection, peace, and achdut. Looking for like minded individuals that don't care what you wear on your head, what car you drive or if you pray. A place where every soul matters. Our hearts really belong in israel, but that is something that is just not possible for us right now. So we are looking for a place to fulfill our needs in America. Please be kind in your responses.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 8:07 pm
Kol Hakovod to you, I wish you a lot of strength, success, and Siyata Dishmaya on your journey.

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 8:09 pm
Following

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 8:16 pm
Riverdale, Five Towns, West Hempstead, Chicago, LA, Teaneck, Boca, Miami diverse OOT areas the ones with lots of types tend to be more inviting.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 8:20 pm
Milwaukee definitely has all types.

amother
RosePink

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 8:21 pm
Scottsdale, Arizona

thanks

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 8:25 pm
There is an organization called Makom that helps people find their place. It's run by Allison Joseph from Jew in the City. You can reach out to them for assistance.

https://jewinthecity.com/makom/

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 8:25 pm
Any oot community that's not mostly populated by one sect and far away from family.
That's what we were looking for when we moved, we ended up in the 5 towns and couldn't be any happier.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 8:27 pm
If you want to stick to the tri-state area, I would recommend Metrowest New Jersey (Livingston, West Orange, or Springfield). You can send to JKHA which is a wonderful school that you can grow into at your own rate. They will take your children wherever you are holding religiously, and support your children's growth in all areas. Plus, the community is remarkably affordable for the greater New York area.

Healing from spiritual trauma isn't easy. But it's the most rewarding thing I've ever done. Reconnecting to a good God who does not serve as your abuser's flying monkey. There's a lot to learn and unlearn, but it's so worth it.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 9:09 pm
My sister had a similar quandary and found her place in boca. There are also welcoming communities in north Jersey, New Haven (ct), and surely more although I am not well versed in them. Interestingly, I find that communities open to psychedelic use tend to be more welcoming- they’ve experienced the soul in their journeys and know that just like every other aspect of our lives has been different, our Judaism will evolve differently too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating