Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Shavous/ fleishig. Things to freeze in advance

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:30 pm
What are some good things to have in the freezer? I’d love to freeze 1-2 items a week cuz I’ll likely host and I hate the frantic feeling the days before YT, I’ll feel so much calmer doing it slowly. So far I have challah and baked goods. Now I need food ideas.. thanks!!

wife101

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
What are some good things to have in the freezer? I’d love to freeze 1-2 items a week cuz I’ll likely host and I hate the frantic feeling the days before YT, I’ll feel so much calmer doing it slowly. So far I have challah and baked goods. Now I need food ideas.. thanks!!

Potato Kugle
carrot Muffins
Apple Kugle
Veggie Soup
Blintzes
Meats
Compote

613mitzvahgirl

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 10:52 pm
Great idea to think ahead.. you can freeze any soup, kreplach, kneidelech, any meat that’s cooked in a sauce, potatoe kugel, burekahs,
Vegetable kugels, roasts, chicken cutlets- I find tat if you cover it with parchment paper it stays more moist, chicken on the bone recipes with a sauce , meatballs, meatloaf.. I’ll try to think of more if you’d like

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:14 pm
I find shavuos as a low eating yom tov . Evening seudos are very late, and the first day everyone has eaten dairy..

tweety1

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 5:41 am
Deli roll, turnovers,

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 6:42 am
I think meatballs and rice are good make aheads for freezing as are London Broil and chicken with corn flakes crumbs. You could also make a fleishig lasagna with sauteed ground meat or even a milchig one. All of these are really easy. I also like to round out Shavuot meals with lots of salads and cold soups like gazpacho and zucchini carrot (both with tofutti sour cream if for a fleishig meal), and a cold strawberry soup made with a bag of defrosted strawberries, sugar, cinnamon and orange juice. You could cook and freeze a blended vegetable soup and serve that hot or cold. Although I wouldn't freeze it, roasted side of salmon is a two minute prep and 45 minutes max in the oven on erev yontiff or the day before. You can fill your oven with additional things to cook like roasted vegetables and baked apples. If you want to buy and freeze the salmon in advance, take it out to defrost in the fridge two days before cooking.
My evolving cooking method is to cook proteins (meat, chicken, and fish), vegetables, and grains in a very quick and simple way and to make dressings and garnishes at the last minute to dress things up. It has been working really well for me. For example, that fish could be roasted with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. I would serve it on a platter with dill, lemons, and limes, and a dish of dill sauce or other dressing. I might also make a topping of finely chopped red onion and strawberries and mango or more simply to top with a strip of mild jarred salsa. Before any yontiff, I buy lots of fresh herbs and mini peppers, tomatoes, lemon and lime. I prep these in my fridge for dressing up meals and also have a variety of oils and vinegars for making dressings.
Finally, we sometimes make a barbecue on the second day to keep food fresh. I tend to like dairy foods, but I have a group of meat eaters here. We try to balance things out.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:46 am
Thanks so much everyone ! Got some great ideas..
to the poster saying the meals are late and eat dairy kiddush - I think we’re the only Jewish family who doesn’t do any dairy. We don’t love it and all have very sensitive stomachs ..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen