Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Why does shabbat food have to be traditional ashkenazi food?
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10 11  12  13  Next

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:05 am
Do as you like. Maybe teach us a few dishes we never tried.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:14 am
What is wrong with people
I keep seeing don’t deny its true
Just because you think something is true doesn’t mean you need to say it.
I think your fat smelly and ugly it would be very rude of me to say so
“But its true”

amother
Honey

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:25 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
“But its true”

But it's not true!
Ashkenazi food if someone knows how to cook is delicious and tasty.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:45 am
amother Honey wrote:
But it's not true!

I agree, wholeheartedly taste by definition is subjective. I’m just addressing the point that everyone feels justified at putting others down because “it’s true”.

amother
Brass

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:47 am
This is a weird discussion. If you have to degrade shabbos food, go eat pizza. Why do you have to tell anyone?
Shabbos has special foods. Every week we labor to make shabbos special. Knocking that, I can't imagine is coming from a holy place.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:53 am
amother Brass wrote:
This is a weird discussion. If you have to degrade shabbos food, go eat pizza. Why do you have to tell anyone?
Shabbos has special foods. Every week we labor to make shabbos special. Knocking that, I can't imagine is coming from a holy place.

Your “Shabbos food” isn’t necessarily everyone’s. Yes, there’s the standard fare, but we don’t like it, so we make whatever we like to eat. There’s nothing intrinsically “holy” about Kugel or Cholent. Sometimes we have homemade specialty pizza. Sometimes it’s even ordering Chinese food for Shabbos. Who cares? I don’t care what other people eat, why would they care what I eat?

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:56 am
amother Coral wrote:
Your “Shabbos food” isn’t necessarily everyone’s. Yes, there’s the standard fare, but we don’t like it, so we make whatever we like to eat. There’s nothing intrinsically “holy” about Kugel or Cholent. Sometimes we have homemade specialty pizza. Sometimes it’s even ordering Chinese food for Shabbos. Who cares? I don’t care what other people eat, why would they care what I eat?

You're saying the same thing.
re the bolded: Don't know. Ask OP why she started this thread. That's what were all trying to figure out. Eat what you want but dont knock others for eating different than you.

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 12:25 pm
You still are who you are. You can cook like you like. Sometimes as a BT you can feel pressure to conform entirely. The main thing is you save "special " dishes reserved for shabbos. Go ahead and make Sephardic recipes, you will enjoy much more. You can make morroccan fish and chamin. Really anything you reserve l'kavod shabbos kodesh will do.

I'm Ashkenaz background, even with yichus, didnt go otd, is a foodie who cooks foods from around the world. And add more complex flavor to any traditional ashkenaz recipes to suit your palate.

amother
Brass

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 12:37 pm
amother Coral wrote:

No one cares. That's the point. Why post if no one cares what you eat?

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 12:50 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
“But its true”

Rude and childish.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 12:54 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
You still are who you are. You can cook like you like. Sometimes as a BT you can feel pressure to conform entirely. The main thing is you save "special " dishes reserved for shabbos. Go ahead and make Sephardic recipes, you will enjoy much more. You can make morroccan fish and chamin. Really anything you reserve l'kavod shabbos kodesh will do.

I'm Ashkenaz background, even with yichus, didnt go otd, is a foodie who cooks foods from around the world. And add more complex flavor to any traditional ashkenaz recipes to suit your palate.

I remember when I first added oregano to my mothers ratatouille recipe, she went bananas... And then dill to the chicken soup. Then cilantro to the meatballs... Yes you can add flavors to your Bubbies best brisket recipe or chulent or whatever. You can change the shape of your meatballs to triangles and hang them from a broccoli tree, go crazy. Its traditional!

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 1:21 pm
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
Rude and childish.

? What is rude and childish?

Comptroller

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 1:45 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
“But its true”

I love children, because they would blurt it out.
If you think so about me, it's OK to tell me. At least, I know the truth and won't try and make you my best friend, except maybe virtually, without close physical proximity.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 1:51 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
? What is rude and childish?

Insulting.
I was adding to your post that it is rude to... To me its also childish and the sign of an adult who hasnt grown up.

DrMom

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 2:23 pm
amother Honey wrote:
But it's not true!

If you like that cuisine. Some people just don't. Zehu.

I don't care for Ethiopian food very much. I can go to the best Ethiopian restaurant in Israel and still come out thinking, "meh." I just don't think it's all that great.

Al ta'am ve'al re'ach ein le'hitvake'ach

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 2:27 pm
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
Insulting.
I was adding to your post that it is rude to... To me its also childish and the sign of an adult who hasnt grown up.

Agreed!

Comptroller

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 4:43 pm
I find it interesting that so many users here are offended when people say that typical shabbos food has its origin in poor people's food (or "peasant" food) or tastes bland.

Why do they take it so personally?

amother
Coral

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 4:48 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
You're saying the same thing.
re the bolded: Don't know. Ask OP why she started this thread. That's what were all trying to figure out. Eat what you want but dont knock others for eating different than you.

No, we’re not saying the same thing. Amother Brass is saying that there are special Shabbos foods. I’m saying there’s nothing intrinsically special or Shabbosdik about the foods people typically make just because that’s what was done in Europe.

amother
Brass

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 5:16 pm
amother Coral wrote:
No, we’re not saying the same thing. Amother Brass is saying that there are special Shabbos foods. I’m saying there’s nothing intrinsically special or Shabbosdik about the foods people typically make just because that’s what was done in Europe.

Yes these foods are special shabbos foods. Foods that have been cooked lkavod shabbos throughout the generations are special, regardless of where they cooked.

On top of that, knocking the hard work and effort by Jewish women over hundreds of years to cook these special foods, that's insensitive.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 5:23 pm
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
OP wrote " I find the traditional ashkenazi shabbat food to be bland and boring, and I'd never go out of my way to cook it. .... but you'll never find a kugel or gefilte fish on my table.
with limited access to spices and good ingredients and developed a cuisine of mediocre peasant food"

Now I will say it in other words, I find your looks to be bland and boring, I would never go out of my way to photograph you, with limited resources, you have become mediocre and peasant looking".

Insulted yet? What if you spent hours watching make up tutorials and really did your best to look beautiful and yet were told you are peasant-like?

Please know my Yerushalmi kugel is never left over, my potato kugel is spicy and warm, you have to keep yourself from thirds, my apple kugel makes you lick your fingers and my spinach kugel or carrot kugel or zuchini kugels or onion kugels are enjoyed as well. My friend makes a pineapple kugel that is aways a hit.
Gefilte fish can also be prepared sweet or savory and served with chrain or spicy mayonnaise etc.

If OP never makes/serves kugels or gefilte, then ok, but dont dis it...

It really shouldn't be offensive to anyone when they dis a general type of food.
Yes, if someone is eating gefilte fish next to you, it would be wrong to say "yuck! how are you eating that?!"
But stating that you don't like it on a forum is totally fine.

Why are you offended?
Page 10 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 9  10 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics