Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Please help. My clean laundry started having a weird smell

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 4:40 pm
My clean laundry used to smell so good. Over the past few weeks I’ve noticed the clothing has a weird smell, not really a musty smell, I can’t describe it but it’s gross. I cut down how much detergent I use because I read that can be the culprit. Still smells. I poured vinegar into the dispenser and it still smells. I also did a cycle with affresh to clean the tub, no luck.
Any advice? Why does my laundry stink 😫

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 4:46 pm
Are you pregnant?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 4:52 pm
Is it a front loader? Check the gasket to see if there’s any mildew build up. If not that, is your dryer clean? Are you moving the laundry to the dryer fast enough? You can also add a big scoop of baking soda to the tub, that helps. Sometimes certain fabrics hold onto weird odors once they’re set in.

t12345678

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 4:56 pm
I just had the same issue. My appliance repair guy told me to do this and really helped! Smell is gone now bh.
How to clean a front load washer:
Try doing cycles with 8 cups of bleach and no laundry inside.
Choose the hottest water temperature your machine has (sanitary cycle is best) and choose the longest soak option
you can do it a few times. you can also run a load using a skinny bottle of vinegar afterwards to wash bleach out of the machine.

Best to add bleach into the dispenser in increments.
Put as much as you can and when the machine takes it,
add more until all 8 cups are used

These tips are for After your issue is resolved:
Front Load Washer maintenance:
Do not use Tide Liquid detergent. All brand is recommended.
Leave the door to the machine open whenever the machine is not in use.
Make sure to do at least one hot load a week.
If your machine has a sanitary cycle or temperature option, that is best
Wipe out the bellow / gasket at least once a week.
Also clean the glass on the inside of the door
Use Affresh on a clean wash cycle every 2-4 weeks

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 6:28 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
Are you pregnant?

No lol. It really smells bad. My husband also noticed

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 6:32 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
Is it a front loader? Check the gasket to see if there’s any mildew build up. If not that, is your dryer clean? Are you moving the laundry to the dryer fast enough? You can also add a big scoop of baking soda to the tub, that helps. Sometimes certain fabrics hold onto weird odors once they’re set in.

Yes front loader. No mildew in gasket. Dryer is clean, and I put the clothing from washer to dryer within a few minutes
I should add baking soda and run it with or without clothing?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 6:33 pm
t12345678 wrote:
I just had the same issue. My appliance repair guy told me to do this and really helped! Smell is gone now bh.
How to clean a front load washer:
Try doing cycles with 8 cups of bleach and no laundry inside.
Choose the hottest water temperature your machine has (sanitary cycle is best) and choose the longest soak option
you can do it a few times. you can also run a load using a skinny bottle of vinegar afterwards to wash bleach out of the machine.

Best to add bleach into the dispenser in increments.
Put as much as you can and when the machine takes it,
add more until all 8 cups are used

These tips are for After your issue is resolved:
Front Load Washer maintenance:
Do not use Tide Liquid detergent. All brand is recommended.
Leave the door to the machine open whenever the machine is not in use.
Make sure to do at least one hot load a week.
If your machine has a sanitary cycle or temperature option, that is best
Wipe out the bellow / gasket at least once a week.
Also clean the glass on the inside of the door
Use Affresh on a clean wash cycle every 2-4 weeks

Thank you! Will try it. 8 cups of bleach sounds like a ton though

mummiedearest

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 7:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes front loader. No mildew in gasket. Dryer is clean, and I put the clothing from washer to dryer within a few minutes

Add it to the drum with the clothing, add detergent as usual

t12345678

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 7:16 pm
I didn’t actually do 8 cups prob more like a cup. But it killed the smell

t12345678

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 7:17 pm
Also, you need to clean the drain on your front loader I think once a month. If it’s not clean it might be smelling. It’s very easy google how to with your model

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 7:53 pm
what type of smell? after we stained our floors our laundry smelled horrible for a few weeks. any house work tht was done recently that could account for tht?

amother
Azure

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:40 pm
How old is your machine? Front loaders have an expiration date. They are simply a bad design.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:07 pm
t12345678 wrote:
Also, you need to clean the drain on your front loader I think once a month. If it’s not clean it might be smelling. It’s very easy google how to with your model

Thanks! I didn’t know this

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:08 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
what type of smell? after we stained our floors our laundry smelled horrible for a few weeks. any house work tht was done recently that could account for tht?

That’s crazy
No housework

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:08 pm
amother Azure wrote:
How old is your machine? Front loaders have an expiration date. They are simply a bad design.

Bought it five years ago. How long are they supposed to last?

Imabubby60

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:12 am
I read something about cleaning washers with diluted vinegar, I Google'd it: Run an empty, regular cycle on hot, using two cups of white vinegar instead of detergent. Add the vinegar to the detergent dispenser. (Don't worry about harming your machine, as white vinegar will not damage clothes.) The hot water-vinegar combo removes and prevents bacteria growth.
Also, did you try those laundry beads, Downey makes one, they're to give a fresh clean smell to the clothing.

amother
Clear

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:19 am
Front loaders are the worst. I regret mine terribly. Even if you don't see mildew on gasket, wipe it down every single time you're done with laundry and always leave the door ajar when the machine isn't running.

Rappel

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:54 am
amother OP wrote:

Front loaders need to be left open, or they're likely to get mold/mildew deep inside. Forget the gasket - we're talking internal parts.

I do a load with no clothes and straight bleach to clean things out when I need to. But to prevent it happening again -- leave the door open

zaq

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:48 am
t12345678 wrote:

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.
And not just the drain. Every accessible part needs to be dried. Even a little bit of standing water is enough to foster microbial growth and the odors that go along with it. Just leaving the door open isn't enough.

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:21 am
amother OP wrote:
My clean laundry used to smell so good. Over the past few weeks I’ve noticed the clothing has a weird smell, not really a musty smell, I can’t describe it but it’s gross. I cut down how much detergent I use because I read that can be the culprit. Still smells. I poured vinegar into the dispenser and it still smells. I also did a cycle with affresh to clean the tub, no luck.
Any advice? Why does my laundry stink 😫

Could there be mold in your home? My laundry developed a terrible smell especially wet stuff that I hung to dry then I treated the mold and instant change in my laundry
the issue might not be in machine but something in your house
Try smelling the laundry after washing and then after drying and see when the smell developes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry