Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What can I do with seized chocolate?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:15 am
I was up late baking which, in my tired state, was a recipe for disaster. I balanced my pot with chocolate very precariously over the pot with water and the chocolate pot slipped and tons of water splashed in. My chocolate seized and I couldn’t recover it by adding more water (quantity was too much and I just didn’t have the energy to keep stirring)

It’s $30 worth of chocolate. I really don’t want to toss it. Any advice

Also yes, I know the best way to double boil is with a tightly fitted glass bowl over the pot, but I was tired and too lazy to shlep out my glass bowl. I will not be repeating that mistake. (Late at night anyway LOL )

shachachti

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:20 am
Fixing Seized Chocolate

This may seem counterintuitive, but the way to fix seized chocolate is to add 1 teaspoon of boiling water at a time, then mix vigorously until it becomes smooth once again. This is ideal when planning to use the chocolate for a drizzle or a sauce since the chocolate will be somewhat diluted.

Excerpt from this article
https://www.thespruceeats.com/.....gain.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:41 am
shachachti wrote:
Fixing Seized Chocolate

This may seem counterintuitive, but the way to fix seized chocolate is to add 1 teaspoon of boiling water at a time, then mix vigorously until it becomes smooth once again. This is ideal when planning to use the chocolate for a drizzle or a sauce since the chocolate will be somewhat diluted.

Excerpt from this article
https://www.thespruceeats.com/.....gain.

I started doing that but gave up because it was going to take too long. Anything easier I can do with it?

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 8:29 am
Here's a brilliant trick for the future. You don't need a double boiler to melt chocolate.
- Pour about 1/2 cm of boiling water into a 9x13
- put the chocolate (break it up if you can) or chocolate chips into a 2nd 9x13 and put it into the 1st one
- watch you chocolate melt!

you can use 2 glass/metal bowls and it will also work probably even better

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 2:16 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
Here's a brilliant trick for the future. You don't need a double boiler to melt chocolate.
- Pour about 1/2 cm of boiling water into a 9x13
- put the chocolate (break it up if you can) or chocolate chips into a 2nd 9x13 and put it into the 1st one
- watch you chocolate melt!

you can use 2 glass/metal bowls and it will also work probably even better

Never thought of that! Thank you

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 2:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Never thought of that! Thank you

Learned it from a friend of mine in the chocolate business, now I can't even understand what double boilers were invented for!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics