Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Shiur on how to daven in shul (for girls/women)?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:56 am
I haven't been to shul for a couple of decades now, and I've never really known what to do when I was there...My mother only went to shul for Yizkor, Yom Kippur, times like that, and so when I started to go to shul at a teenager I would look around at everyone else and try to follow them, but I was always confused.

All of my older kids are boys, so dh brought them to shul. I'm now at the point where I'll have the chance to go to shul with my elementary-school daughter for a short amount of time on Shabbos morning. The problem is, she's going to have so many questions about what to say, what to do, and I won't know how to answer any of them! I'd like to learn a bit more about tefillah b'tzibur before I go, specifically the halachos/hanhagos.

I'm yeshivish, if that matters. (For the record, my mother was very much not. I was the youngest of a small family, she just wasn't a shul-goer, so please don't start a spin-off about how awful large families are, that the girls don't know what to do when they go to shul, or whatever...)

mha3484

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 12:00 pm
I like to sit next to an older woman who is a frequent shul goer who doesn't mind that I keep an eye on her page number etc. An artscroll siddur will have the directions your looking for.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 2:38 pm
Thanks. That's sort of what I did when I was a teenager. But now that I'm going to be teaching my daughter, I'd really like to prepare myself ahead of time and have some idea of what's going on...

Maybe something that's geared for baalei tshuva? There's got to be somebody that explains what to do, to people who don't really know...

emee2

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 7:35 pm
I am in a similar boat and would love to go to a class or something.

patzer

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 9:27 pm
If you have any specific questions, feel free to post them here and I'll try to help you. Smile

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 9:35 pm
a shiur on the topic is such a nice idea! I wish I knew of one.
I actually learned from watching others. and even though I went to shul as a teen, there are things I recently learned when I switched shuls.
artscroll with English definitely has instructions.
but things like.... kedusha - where to go on your tiptoes.... (not just kodosh)
also... when people finish shemoneh esrei, they often dont take three steps fwd until the chazan gets up to kedusha...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics