Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Baby having seizures

Ima2

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 8:06 am
My 1 year old is/was totally normal. went for her 1 yr old check up, had her shots etc... about 1.5 weeks later (this past wed) she had 3 seizures in a 6 hr time period. she was admitted to the hospital for 2 days and were discharged on friday. Has anyone else had a child who had a seizure? She was a little sick the day before her seizure and had a fever, but did not have a fever when she had the seizures. I'm so scared and nervous taking care of her. I also have a 3 yr old who is at my parents house still since wednesday and I really miss her. But I don't know how I'm going to take care of them both...my 1 yr old needs a lot of attention right now and has such a haphazard schedule now. I'm also finding it difficult to give her medicine. She either throws it up or it takes forever to give it to her. The medicine tastes really bad and we try to hide it in her milk or in chocolate syrup, but she knows. Any advice or support to give me please!?

Ima2

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 8:31 pm
anyone out there with some words of encouragement or advice?????

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 8:40 pm
Tremendous hugs to you!
I'm sure it's really tough for you--it must be horrible watching your baby go through all that...
Was she diagnosed with a particular medical disorder? I'm sure that you could google it and find lots of support groups--there are lots of moms with advice about the best way to give medicine.
I'm also sure that while it's very stressful for you now, once you get back into the swing of things and have both your kids back at home, everything will fall into a more regular routine.

shayna82

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 9:45 pm
I know someone who this happened to. they said it was reaction to one of the shots. I think it was dtap. is that what your baby had?

mama-star

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 11:19 pm
ima2, be SO careful now with the vaccinating. ask your dr if it is a delayed vaccine reaction.

Ima2

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 12:01 am
we asked the dr's about the vaccinations...they don't think it was related b/c her seizures did not occur with a fever. The fever preceeded it but it is still not considered a febrile seizure. They think it was caused by a virus but I doubt it. She's had viruses before awith much higer fever than what she had before the seizure and didn't get a seizure then! The vaccines were MMR and chicken pox. MMR is associated with febrile seizures as a side effect, but she didn't have that. She also doesn't have any other type of disorder...completely healthy and normal! Even all of the tests cam eback negative for any malformations or irregularities.

Cdlf

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 7:27 am
I once had it when my baby had high fever and it was the scariest thing in the world! If you need to give medicine for fever try a tylenol suppository! I wish they would make antibiotic suppositories!! I had such a hard time with 2 of my kids with thaking antibiotic that my dr. gave them 1 dose of Rocefin in a shot instead of fighting for 10 days orally, bec. I never got a complete dose down.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 11:29 am
I wouldn't mix medicines in with anything--milk, etc. unless the doctor told you that you could do that.
Sometimes with neurological medicines you need to give the whole dose in it's full form and when you mix it with food or drinks it may weaken the effects of the medicine.

iKreamswirls

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 11:36 am
My freind's baby had seizure it was due to high fever. She knows now to knock the fever down right away.

boruchhashem

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 11:43 am
I am a mom of a kid with a seizure disorder. If you want to ask any questions feel free to pm me. I don't want to generalize in this forum, so if its anything specific, please contact me.

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 9:17 pm
iKreamswirls wrote:
My freind's baby had seizure it was due to high fever. She knows now to knock the fever down right away.
That too, but if the tests did not show a seizure disorder, I would simply obsess over keeping this child away from future seizures.

Something to keep in mind, it’s not the fever! It’s the sudden change in temperature, be it hot or cold. So If you dunk a boiling kid into a cold bath, it too can bring on a seizure. Learn to trust that giving Tylenol & motrin together is less risky than another seizure. This coming from a healthnut.

Also, when the kid is warm, strip her! Diapers only, as long as it lasts. If that doesn’t help within minutes, wrap her with a wet lukewarm towel. Change the water when it turns cold.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics