Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I’m a gatekeeper

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:21 pm
I’m a gatekeeper and I won’t tell you why. If I tell you, you might take some knowledge from and I’m not smart enough to afford that.

I won’t share my name with you. I don’t want you to like it and name your babies the same name as me.

Don’t ask me how many kids I have. I wouldn’t want you taking away business from my womb.

My kids school? Are you kidding me? I wouldn’t want you to tip up the teaching rate.

If you ask me where I got my groceries from, there is no way I’m sharing. Haven’t you heard of supply and demand? Banging head

I’m shocked you think I would tell you where I live!! I shudder just thinking of the ramifications of you walking down my block!

Where I work?!? (Gasp!) What has this world come to? The manners of the younger generation… Can't Believe It

UQT

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:53 pm
And I will just not share when Rosh Chodesh is. Doesn’t matter if you’re standing next to me in shul during Rosh Chodesh benching and missed the chazzans announcement. I need ONLY my kid to wear the white shirt on the correct day.

Tao

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:31 pm
Lol! I don't know why, but "private"/secretive people get on my nerrrrves like nothing else,lol
What about the people who will never say where they went on vacation?
No, I don't NEED to know where you went, nor do I actually care to be honest. But that doesn't make it private sensitive information! Can't Believe It

freedomseek

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 9:53 pm
Tao wrote:
Lol! I don't know why, but "private"/secretive people get on my nerrrrves like nothing else,lol
What about the people who will never say where they went on vacation?
No, I don't NEED to know where you went, nor do I actually care to be honest. But that doesn't make it private sensitive information! Can't Believe It

That’s interesting
I would never ask anyone where they went
Especially not a couples vacation
I think by its very nature a vacation is a private thing and should be kept that way
I feel it loses its essence and quality when shared

zaq

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 2:40 am
freedomseek wrote:

I think by its very nature a vacation is a private thing and should be kept that way

I assume you're very newly married and your last vacation was a honeymoon. Most people aren't going off on lovers' trysts to those places with heart shaped beds and mirrored ceilings, and if they are, they're not likely to be mentioning the fact in conversation. MOST people going on vacation are going to enjoy a respite, break from the routine, pleasant interlude away from the crowded city...iow a vacation. There's nothing especially private about that, and most people are quite happy to bore all their friends by telling them about it, or, worse yet, showing pictures.

Chasidishlitvak

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 3:46 am
I don't go on romantic escapes but feel that vacations that are kept private are so much more special. DH doesn't agree.

penguin

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 3:50 am
Still much better than people who overshare... just my 2 cents.

giselle

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 4:16 am
penguin wrote:
Still much better than people who overshare... just my 2 cents.

Exactly, people who don’t stop talking about themselves get on my nerrrrrves.

freedomseek

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:06 am
zaq wrote:
I assume you're very newly married and your last vacation was a honeymoon. Most people aren't going off on lovers' trysts to those places with heart shaped beds and mirrored ceilings, and if they are, they're not likely to be mentioning the fact in conversation. MOST people going on vacation are going to enjoy a respite, break from the routine, pleasant interlude away from the crowded city...iow a vacation. There's nothing especially private about that, and most people are quite happy to bore all their friends by telling them about it, or, worse yet, showing pictures.

Not quite
Past the 20 years mark
I was not referring to romantic vacations at all
To me, vacation =a time and place of togetherness that is separate from your regular place of residence and day to day social connections
With that in place, vacation can really be a brand new experience
But if you share it and discuss it, it loses its value

amother
Molasses

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:11 am
freedomseek wrote:
Not quite
Past the 20 years mark
I was not referring to romantic vacations at all
To me, vacation =a time and place of togetherness that is separate from your regular place of residence and day to day social connections
With that in place, vacation can really be a brand new experience
But if you share it and discuss it, it loses its value

So now we’ve encountered our first gatekeeper.

It’s quite confusing to welcome back your coworker who’s beed on vacation for a week, and not know if she’d been around the corner or around the globe. I’d find it so awkward if we all had to pretend we weren’t wondering and the topic was ignored.

And I can’t understand for the life of me how my trip ‘loses it’s essence’ when I tell people I’ve been to Lake George lol.

amother
Skyblue

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:39 am
freedomseek wrote:
That’s interesting
I would never ask anyone where they went
Especially not a couples vacation

Why do I feel like I'm the only one who thinks that? My friends go crazy that I don't share.
Some things I just don't feel are necessary.
And, I never ask my friends where they're going, sometimes it comes up and they'll have questions or sometimes not..

amother
Skyblue

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:42 am
amother Molasses wrote:
So now we’ve encountered our first gatekeeper.

It’s quite confusing to welcome back your coworker who’s beed on vacation for a week, and not know if she’d been around the corner or around the globe. I’d find it so awkward if we all had to pretend we weren’t wondering and the topic was ignored.

And I can’t understand for the life of me how my trip ‘loses it’s essence’ when I tell people I’ve been to Lake George lol.

Why is it confusing to not know if I did a "staycation" or traveled the globe. I went away.. maybe it'll come up a few months later, but for now I'd like to keep it myself.
No, I'm not a newlywed
I don't find it "gate keeping" I find it personal preference, ( not sure how to say it)
ETA - if I come back all dark and a noticeable tan, feel free to ask.
Also,doesn't apply to me,I personally don't care,and my husband doesnt either, some woman may not want to share that they're husband did not go to minyan for a week.. or that they went to a beach town...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics