Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Cradle cap solutions, please!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 4:39 pm
My 4 month old has cradle cap. With most of my kids I just rub on some baby oil and then comb it out and this worked on him once.

Since then it's more red & scaley & when I rub on the oil it almost disappears and it doesn't allow me to comb out the scales. I've tried using the Selsun Blue shampoo but it seems to just make it worse.

But baby seems itchy...anyone have any other tried & true solutions?

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 4:44 pm
I used the mustela cradle cap solution and it worked well.

amother
Lily

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 4:47 pm
Don't use dandruff shampoo. It strips natural oils and it is way too strong for a baby!

I used a moisturizing shampoo (Johnson and Johnson has one) and combed out while it was in their hair. Cleaned up really quickly. I think I did it a few baths in a row because I was nervous and missed spots. And it was layered and again, nervous to go so deep.

mfb

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 4:51 pm
What regular shampoo are you using?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 5:02 pm
mfb wrote:
What regular shampoo are you using?

J&j

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 5:18 pm
The Frida system is AMAZING! I used it for both my kids who had the worst cradle cap and this was the only thing that worked. Just be super gentle during the comb process and don’t rush it, after a few times it should be gone

https://www.target.com/p/frida.....74056

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 5:19 pm
Baby oil is garbage. Use olive oil.

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 5:23 pm
Something I realized recently with my youngest is that I think the cradle cap was from the shampoo we were using (was either baby magic or j&j). Because when I ran out of it and switched to a children's 3 in 1 wash, the cradle cap went away.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 7:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
J&j

From an unofficial survey Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo causes the cradle cap. Try a new shampoo for a few weeks and see if that help.
(I used to work at a doctors office and of all the people that called in with issues of cradle cap I would say probably 95 percent were using Johnson’s.)

amother
Aster

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 7:14 pm
I used olive oil with a fine comb.

Last edited by amother on Mon, May 20 2024, 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 7:16 pm
For my kids , cradle cap was connected with an internal candida (yeast) issue. I was nursing , so I went off of any foods that feed yeast (sugar, dairy, gluten) and the cradle cap rapidly disappeared.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 7:27 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
From an unofficial survey Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo causes the cradle cap. Try a new shampoo for a few weeks and see if that help.
(I used to work at a doctors office and of all the people that called in with issues of cradle cap I would say probably 95 percent were using Johnson’s.)

What shampoo still smells yummy & is tear free?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 7:27 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
The Frida system is AMAZING! I used it for both my kids who had the worst cradle cap and this was the only thing that worked. Just be super gentle during the comb process and don’t rush it, after a few times it should be gone

https://www.target.com/p/frida.....74056

Ordered this plus their cradle cap removal mask
Ty!

kiwi strawberry

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 7:30 pm
amother OP wrote:

The everyone soap-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....title

amothertrying

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 8:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
My 4 month old has cradle cap. With most of my kids I just rub on some baby oil and then comb it out and this worked on him once.

Since then it's more red & scaley & when I rub on the oil it almost disappears and it doesn't allow me to comb out the scales. I've tried using the Selsun Blue shampoo but it seems to just make it worse.

But baby seems itchy...anyone have any other tried & true solutions?

Yes just go to a dermatologist! Plus use mustella shampoo. But go to a dermatologist!

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 8:29 pm
Mustela, mustela, mustela!!!
And don’t use j&j, try to use more natural things for a newborns skin

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 8:31 pm
Try Burts Bees Baby Bee or Mustela. I would also check with your pediatrician or dermatologist. Perhaps this is another skin condition or a fungal issue.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 8:38 am
amother OP wrote:

The last one I used was I think parents choice lavender smell. But it’s a few years ago not 100% sure

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 8:53 am
Ketacanozle worked wonders for us BH

seeker

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 9:12 am
My pediatrician advised head and shoulders shampoo. I was a little uneasy using it on a tiny infant but oil and combing was not keeping up with it, it kept coming back really badly. The head and shoulders worked within about a week so it was very temporary exposure to the chemical whatevers and baby wasn't irritated anymore from then on (some mild flakes came back but a little oil and waiting it out worked fine. We just had to get past the main scaly mess)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics