Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Robot or Explosion Box-are these the options?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 7:09 pm
To make a long story short my daughter was diagnosed a year ago with Adhd. She had severe meltdowns that lasted for hours where she acted on the verge of a breakdown c'v.
She was put on 2 mg of Guanfacine which tamed her down a bit. But since Pesach she acted very robotic, dazed, and submissive which scared my husband and me. She also refused to play with neighbors preferring to stay home and klutz.
She was way easier to deal with but it was scary to see her like that.
We had a meeting with her psych and requested to take her off the meds thinking she might have outgrown her hyperactivity. (We forgot about her crazy meltdowns)
She told us to try 1 mg first. Right away she was back to her hyper self and started playing outside again.
But since yesterday she's been having meltdowns, which on a scale of 1-10 is a 20! She was even doing it outside on the street in front of all the neighbors because she was so emotionally dysregulated.
Every time I tell her a no it's like a match near a tinderbox.
After her severe meltdowns she's calm as a cucumber. It's like physical tension in her body which must be let out. And once it's out she's a calm easy person.

So is this it? Are these the options- kid with crazy uncontrollable meltdowns at least once a day or a robotic dazed kid?
I can't handle this. It's so painful. Crying

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 1:54 pm
I don't have personal experience with medication but this book really helped me with non-drug options for adhd, and also has a section on mitigating drug side effects and how to find the best medication for your child
https://www.amazon.com/Finally.....r=8-1
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)