Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Flip phones ... are they addictive??

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 8:51 pm
We finally got a flip phone for our family ..to use for our convenience when we are out and about and my daughters (7th/9th grade) are going local shopping, running errands etc.. never felt the need to get one till a few months ago..
But I'm finding that one daughter is too busy with it, texting people and taking pictures..
Could it really be addictive? Should I have basic cell phone rules? Right now it's in my possession, we just got it today and I clearly stated it is a family phone.
(We are a middle of the road "in town" BY family, I do have a smartphone with limited apps for reference)

Plonis bas Plonis

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 9:04 pm
New things are always excited in the beginning. You can definitely make some limits like no phone past a certain time but the excitement will probably wear off in a couple of weeks.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 9:10 pm
Depending if she's taking over and not being reasonable with sharing with whoever needs when it's supposed to be fine the family
You can make a rule about it.
What type of rule were you thinking of?

giftedmom

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 9:11 pm
Texting can be addictive. Take off text problem solved.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 11:15 pm
Any device can be addictive.

But they are not inherently addictive the same way that smartphones are, which are literally designed to addict you.

I have a DD in a school where she is one of the very few with a flip phone in a school full of smartphones, and she told me she can see how the smartphone users are addicted.

She admits to wasting more time than necessary on her flip phone, but the addiction is not at all the same.

s1

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 11:30 pm
Yes they can be addictive. Rules such as where the phone stays when they are at home and where it goes overnight, and at what time is it switched off/handed in help to ensure girls aren't up til 2 am texting their friends!

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 11:46 pm
It’s healthy for teens to be texting their friends all day imo. I don’t consider texting friends to be a waste of time. It’s a very social stage of life. I wouldn’t be concerned.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 7:10 pm
I have 3 phone rules.

1-They can only text people they know.
2-Phone must be powered off by 9:45pm
3- I’m allowed to look at their texts from time to time

School rule is no cell phones may be brought to school so that’s not an issue
Also, I disabled picture text so they cannot send or receive photos.

It’s good rules. They have the phone and it doesn’t get out of hand.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 7:18 pm
Kids with adhd often become addicted to technology, even if it's a simple flip phone. It still provides feeds their brains with dopamine.

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 8:19 pm
Disable texting pics
No using phones after a certain time
Phone charges in the kitchen, not in a bedroom
No texting strangers or anyone not saved in their contacts

cnc

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 8:42 pm
My children do not have texting on their cell phones.
They use a phone only for the original purpose that phones were created for- to make and receive calls.
I have texting on my flip phone but only use it when necessary since it's a hassle to text on it....

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 7:23 am
Thanks so much for all the replies! Very helpful!!!

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 7:27 am
amother Periwinkle wrote:
I have 3 phone rules.

1-They can only text people they know.
2-Phone must be powered off by 9:45pm
3- I’m allowed to look at their texts from time to time

School rule is no cell phones may be brought to school so that’s not an issue
Also, I disabled picture text so they cannot send or receive photos.

It’s good rules. They have the phone and it doesn’t get out of hand.

How is this one fair? As a teen my mom wanted this rule too and I actually chose not to get texting in HS because it seemed pointless without a guarantee of privacy.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 7:42 am
amother Turquoise wrote:
How is this one fair? As a teen my mom wanted this rule too and I actually chose not to get texting in HS because it seemed pointless without a guarantee of privacy.

The other option is getting your child a phone without texting.
Most kids would choose to have a phone unless there’s something they’re trying to hide.
I don’t read the messages every day. Sometimes I see the phone sitting on the counter when I’m cleaning up and I’ll look for a minute. It’s probably every few weeks. This particular child is not a big texter and is very trustworthy so it might be different with another type of kid. I have a 14 year old daughter who is begging for a phone but I don’t really think texting would be healthy for her… I want to tell her that I’ll get her a phone without texting but it wouldn’t go over well since her older sister has texting so I’m pushing it off for now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children