Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Seeking school for gifted DD
Previous  1  2  3

Deep Blue

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 9:13 pm
I wish we can get schools to shift more towards open ended learning, at least in the lower grades. This would be beneficial to all students as open ended learning is multi level learning. This also allows students to learn from each other, which is motivating to the bright children as well as the weaker students.
In public schools the model is to have reading blocks and math blocks, where students work independently in small groups at different centers while the teacher teaches one of the groups. Then they switch off so that each group does all centers each day.
Some of the centers are just worksheets (close-ended and boring) but some are games like scrabble and boggle for phonics patterns, which are open ended and engaging regardless of level.
I dont see why this can't be implemented in our schools!

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 11:31 pm
that'd be great!
thank you. this community here is very helpful Smile doesn't sound familiar but regardless, I'm trying to research as much as I can so I'd definitely want to reach out to her.
mha3484 wrote:
There is a woman in Passaic who ran a gifted program in my boys school before she moved. She works for torah u mesorah now. If that rings a bell I can send you her name and contact information.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 11:34 pm
thank you!
will do.

mamabird73 wrote:
Hi OP. It might be me that you referenced in your post. I run a nonprofit based out of Teaneck that helps parents find alternative educational models. Feel free to PM me or email me at tiferetofteaneck@gmail.com. I'm happy to help in any way I can.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 12:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
that'd be great!
thank you. this community here is very helpful Smile doesn't sound familiar but regardless, I'm trying to research as much as I can so I'd definitely want to reach out to her.

DM me and ill give you her info
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)