Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Daycare Morahs
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:35 pm
Hi. I know this is a hot topic but I'm looking for some ideas of how a licensed childcare center (0-4 year olds) can attract competent staff? Teachers who are NORMAL, with it, get it type. In other words, what would make a Morah work in a licensed center as opposed to having a group at home?
Unfortunately, I'm seeing that the people who apply for these jobs are not exactly individuals I'd want taking care of my child.
Is it just higher pay?
Looking to hear specifically from the perspective of the Morah.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:42 pm
I guess it would have to be someone who believes in doing things above board and feels having such rules and regulations in place are in the best interest of the children, something they prioritize.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:47 pm
My opinion is that working with babies and toddlers all day just doesn't appeal to most people. So anyone who has any sort of skill will get a different job. Who wants to be surrounded by crying and screaming and kvetching and demanding kids all day when they can work in a nice quiet comfortable office?
So you're left with the people who really have no other employment options who take the jobs as daycare morahs.

justforfun87

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:51 pm
Yes, of course it is the pay.

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:55 pm
Free daycare for their own babies/toddlers and decent pay.

amother
Mulberry

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:55 pm
Also everyone has their own babies to deal with. Dealing with someone else's is not really an attractive option unless the morah is dedicated and enjoys childcare. The pay definitely helps too.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 1:02 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
My opinion is that working with babies and toddlers all day just doesn't appeal to most people. So anyone who has any sort of skill will get a different job. Who wants to be surrounded by crying and screaming and kvetching and demanding kids all day when they can work in a nice quiet comfortable office?
So you're left with the people who really have no other employment options who take the jobs as daycare morahs.

This is not fully accurate. I’m not really the type that wants to work with kids but took a daycare job because it was easier to find. I find it so rewarding to work with kids who smile back at you. it doesn’t compare to sitting in front of a computer screen all day. If you do it right and the ratio is good, they shouldn’t be whining most of the day. I could make more doing it in my house, but then I’d have to set up my home and keep up with supplies, payment and other details. It’s also nice to get out. That said I’m still not planning to do this long term, only because I have other skills that can earn more.

Pleasant airy work environment and friendly, supportive directors is important as well as occasional gestures of appreciation. The daycares who excell at this have an easier time finding staff.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 1:09 pm
I'm shocked by the above posts!!
I work in a daycare and every single one of my coworkers are regular normal type, 99% are kollel wives, we love working with babies/children!

Do you really believe that we are only working with your precious children because we wouldn't be capable of doing anything else??

Why we work in a daycare vs own group?
Social life!! We have no room in our apartments, no mess or take home work at all, same place as our children. It's a huge conceience to be in the same location as your children, especially when they're a nursing baby

amother
Caramel

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 1:13 pm
-Really good pay
- decent vacation package since daycares tend to not have off, the way playgroups do
- clear raise schedule based on reviews
- benefits - good healthcare, affordable childcare

At least that's my view in Lakewood.

If I can make $4900 for 10 months watching 7 babies for $700 a month, I'm not going to work longer hours and more days making 40k for 12 months.
Offer 60k + a week or 2 paid vacation and you'll probably get way more "normal" applicants.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 1:27 pm
Having worked in a few preschools, I am always upset by the staff members who are not making the kids the top priority. I have had a number of coworkers who make the experience miserable for co-teachers and children alike. The administrations tend to play community politics and won’t fire OR advance those morahs, because those morahs like having a good reputation in the community. The coworkers who report the bad behavior are told to learn to work well with others and given the stink eye. No one who likes working with small children wants to play politics like this. Better to start their own small group than deal with incompetent adults.

amother
Peru

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 1:38 pm
Hi! A morah that used to work in daycare but now does her own group.

When I used to work in a daycare I would have to be at work at 8:30 some years it was 8:45. And end at 3:15, Friday at 1 some Fridays at 2.
The schedule just didn't work with my growing family and the pay was very little.

I love working with kids, but now that I do my own group in my house, I do a younger age, I find it less emotionally draining.

I'm able to keep my babies home with me Smile

If a child is sick, I don't need to take a day off from work = not getting payed.

I have same schedule as my children, when they are off, I am also.

There is no traveling involved. With lakewood traffic it would take me approximately 30 min to get to work and longer to get back.

Regarding rules and regulations. I didn't mind it that much. The only thing I did mind was the sheker involved. The daycare expected a lot from teachers but didn't keep up with the proper ratio for teacher to child. There was always a shortage of teachers and lots of juggling. Somedays we wouldn't get lunch breaks since there was no coverage. We didnt have a consistent cleaning crew...

The teachers were also treated like high school kids. We had to get approval from the head to schedule appointments... and it was the teacher's responsibility to find coverage.

There was a lack of appreciation, for an emotionally and physically draining work.

I used to work in an out of town preschool. We had 7 sick days, 10 vacation days. Followed school calendar. There was enough staff and support in place that the teacher felt appreciated even though the pay was not so great.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 5:51 pm
1. Better pay and regular raises
2. Treat Morahs respectfully. Respect their breaks. Have subs if they need to take off.
***Keep to the legal ratio***
3. Give extra time off around yomin tovim
4. Make sure to attract good cliental who take GOOD care of their children (taken them to the dr or treat them when sick and don't give motrin and send to school, no ripped or seasonally inappropriate clothing etc.)
5. Free or cheap childcare even without CHS. Allow Morahs to have their own babies in their room if desired.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 6:08 pm
You make more $$$ in your own group but it is very lonely.

Also very difficult to find a substitute

Working in a daycare is very social and no headache with finding substitute.

bnm

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 6:16 pm
Better pay and more flexibility in the hours.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 6:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi. I know this is a hot topic but I'm looking for some ideas of how a licensed childcare center (0-4 year olds) can attract competent staff? Teachers who are NORMAL, with it, get it type. In other words, what would make a Morah work in a licensed center as opposed to having a group at home?
Unfortunately, I'm seeing that the people who apply for these jobs are not exactly individuals I'd want taking care of my child.
Is it just higher pay?

Are you the one hiring?
Or are you a mom who sends to the playgroup?

swisscheese

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 4:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it just higher pay?

Appreciate the morahs.
enough pto
great salary

I worked in one daycare where the director treated 3/4 of the staff like dirt I left when they closed for covid

in the new place they care about staff, pay decently, its clean, properly staffed

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 4:07 pm
I'm thinking of starting my own group for next year, heard people are charging $1000 dollars a month for newborn group hours 9-4, is this true?

amother
Wallflower

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 4:25 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
I'm thinking of starting my own group for next year, heard people are charging $1000 dollars a month for newborn group hours 9-4, is this true?

I am charging that much where I live.

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 4:34 pm
Thank you! You do 9-4? How many babies do you take? What area do you live in?

amother
Wallflower

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 4:37 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Thank you! You do 9-4? How many babies do you take? What area do you live in?

Yes. OOT. I take 4.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics