Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Ice cream truck budget
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 5:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
You give or buy your kids ice cream twice a week?

Shabbos afternoon treat from the freezer and we generally go to the ice cream store (where they get a mini froyo) once a week. One of my kids is gluten free so ice cream is the great equalizer treat. Winter treats are way harder here.

Eta: also ice cream from the store here is $3 each and not $5

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 6:00 pm
I wouldn't give them a budget if your concern is health. I'd say we're going to mark it in the calendar, every other Tuesday (or whichever day it comes) so they clearly know in advance which day is an ice cream day (and you can budget your treats for them accordingly). You don't want them to blow all their money in one week...

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 6:07 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
I wouldn't give them a budget if your concern is health. I'd say we're going to mark it in the calendar, every other Tuesday (or whichever day it comes) so they clearly know in advance which day is an ice cream day (and you can budget your treats for them accordingly). You don't want them to blow all their money in one week...
So I don't think it comes here on a consistent schedule. I could say every other week if that makes more sense but then I could see it becoming a whole thing if we're away or were fleshing or just got that day in day camp or whatever. I would set a rule no more than once a week and no larger than medium. I would also hold the money for them in an envelope and they'd have to come ask me

amother
DarkYellow

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 6:09 pm
If you are worried about health buy a ninja creami and make your own ice cream

giftedmom

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 6:10 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
Shabbos afternoon treat from the freezer and we generally go to the ice cream store (where they get a mini froyo) once a week. One of my kids is gluten free so ice cream is the great equalizer treat. Winter treats are way harder here.

OT but is soft serve generally GF? I saw online that some companies put in gluten as a thickener?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 6:10 pm
amother Chambray wrote:

They get from the freezer every shabbos as well, and one other day a week would be reasonable if they weren't also getting it elsewhere. There's a lot of ice cream and slush and other frozen treats going on on a constant basis in day camps.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 6:12 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
If you are worried about health buy a ninja creami and make your own ice cream
We do a lot of healthy homemade and bought frozen treats but my kids are not at all satisfied. They want the "real" stuff.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 6:32 pm
Probably comes out to every other week.

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 6:34 pm
giftedmom wrote:
OT but is soft serve generally GF? I saw online that some companies put in gluten as a thickener?

I guess you have to check your brand, but our ice cream stores soft serve is all gf.

However, I don't allow her to eat ice cream other places because so many brands are cross contaminated with gluten and/or nuts.

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 6:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
They get from the freezer every shabbos as well, and one other day a week would be reasonable if they weren't also getting it elsewhere. There's a lot of ice cream and slush and other frozen treats going on on a constant basis in day camps.

So bH our camp doesn't do that. We do have frozen yogurt pops (put yogurt in an ices sleeve and freeze) or frozen (diluted) apple juice pops at home , but I don't consider that junky treats. I consider it an alternative form of yogurt and hydration. Sometimes I also freeze leftover smoothies.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 6:39 pm
Seems like every other week is reasonable and that was my initial thought too.

Question for people who do a schedule : do you take into account if they got ice cream that day or the day before in school or day camp or at a birthday party, or is it more like if it's their turn to get it doesn't matter what else they had.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 6:42 pm
Cookin4days wrote:
Yikes growing up we would get multiple times a week and now the kids get for sure every Sunday and some week days ๐Ÿ™ˆ

Growing up we never ever ever got from the ice cream truck. My little siblings living at home still don't. Because of it, I can't help myself and buy my kids almost every time they ask for it. (They're little still. 1 and 2 yrs.) But I know that I'll have to set limits, but I cannot imagine for the life of myn, why my parents would never ever allow it!!! ๐Ÿ’”

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 6:43 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
So bH our camp doesn't do that. We do have frozen yogurt pops (put yogurt in an ices sleeve and freeze) or frozen (diluted) apple juice pops at home , but I don't consider that junky treats. I consider it an alternative form of yogurt and hydration. Sometimes I also freeze leftover smoothies.
Yes, this isn't counting the healthier frozen treats they get at home. It's not the same in their minds.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 6:43 pm
amother Outerspace wrote:
How much is ice cream?

Here in Monsey it's $5 a cone. The kids can buy on rosh chodesh & generally 1 more day of the month. It gets very expensive fast.
And I don't know what they put in the ice cream, but it doesn't taste like ice cream.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 6:45 pm
We do every other time the truck comes. On average it cones twice a week, sometimes once so it doesn't end up being too much. I also find that it helps with my kids knowing before hand if they are up to getting or not. Meaning when they don't get they don't complain because they know they got last time and that their going to get next time.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 6:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
Seems like every other week is reasonable and that was my initial thought too.

Question for people who do a schedule : do you take into account if they got ice cream that day or the day before in school or day camp or at a birthday party, or is it more like if it's their turn to get it doesn't matter what else they had.

No, I just take into account when they last had from the truck.
I think it's the experience, and not just the treats, that the kids love.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 6:49 pm
amother Yellow wrote:
We do every other time the truck comes. On average it cones twice a week, sometimes once so it doesn't end up being too much. I also find that it helps with my kids knowing before hand if they are up to getting or not. Meaning when they don't get they don't complain because they know they got last time and that their going to get next time.
I like this plan a lot! But I'm worried that it'll be too often the weeks that it ends up showing up every night.

Also, what does everyone do about kids being fleishig? And do you let your kids get before they eat supper?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 6:49 pm
ra_mom wrote:
No, I just take into account when they last had from the truck.
I think it's the experience, and not just the treats, that the kids love.
Ok thanks

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 7:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
I like this plan a lot! But I'm worried that it'll be too often the weeks that it ends up showing up every night.

Also, what does everyone do about kids being fleishig? And do you let your kids get before they eat supper?

If their fleishigs then they get slush. The truck doesn't usually come to us before supper he shows up pretty late so it doesn't end up being an issue.

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 7:40 pm
In bp itโ€™s 6$ a cone my 2 year old dd begs for one every time the truck comes itโ€™s so expensive. I try to have ice cream in the freezer so she can have at home 1-2 times a week. For the truck I wld prob let once every 3 weeks in the summer for a treat
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics