Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Ice cream truck budget
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 7:53 pm
Where in Lakewood does the truck only come twice a week??? There's a truck in my development almost EVERY night, sometimes twice since the different trucks don't coordinate.
I don't buy from the truck. Once a summer I'll let a kid use their own money. We go as a family a few times a summer to an ice cream store and for slurpies. I always have ice cream and ices in the freezer and offer them whenever they complain that the truck is here... They end up having a few times a week.
A tub of ice cream lasts a week and cost the same as 2 cones.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 7:58 pm
amother Cappuccino wrote:
Where in Lakewood does the truck only come twice a week??? There's a truck in my development almost EVERY night, sometimes twice since the different trucks don't coordinate.
I don't buy from the truck. Once a summer I'll let a kid use their own money. We go as a family a few times a summer to an ice cream store and for slurpies. I always have ice cream and ices in the freezer and offer them whenever they complain that the truck is here... They end up having a few times a week.
A tub of ice cream lasts a week and cost the same as 2 cones.
I'm pretty far out in Jackson. I can't actually keep track of how often it comes, it could be its more often but I don't pay that much attention. It doesn't come down my block because I'm a dead end with very few jewish families but it's in the development and my kids know. I personally can't wrap my mind around this at all, but there are parents who WANT it to come, and they actually call and ask for our neighborhood to be put on the route Banging head

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 8:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm pretty far out in Jackson. I can't actually keep track of how often it comes, it could be its more often but I don't pay that much attention. It doesn't come down my block because I'm a dead end with very few jewish families but it's in the development and my kids know. I personally can't wrap my mind around this at all, but there are parents who WANT it to come, and they actually call and ask for our neighborhood to be put on the route Banging head

That makes sense
I hate when it comes cuz my kids get upset every time. I just can't justify $5 a kid x5 on ice cream that melts so quick and isn't very tasty… So I made a policy that we just don't buy. My older kids are ok with it and the little ones won't be happy unless they get every time.
They can always get from the freezer and if they're really upset or jealous on a Sunday when all their friends got we go to the ice cream store or to a grocery and choose individual bars/cup... Hey, if I'm spending $ at least it takes up some time and we get to do a little family trip

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 8:12 pm
amother Cappuccino wrote:
That makes sense
I hate when it comes cuz my kids get upset every time. I just can't justify $5 a kid x5 on ice cream that melts so quick and isn't very tasty… So I made a policy that we just don't buy. My older kids are ok with it and the little ones won't be happy unless they get every time.
They can always get from the freezer and if they're really upset or jealous on a Sunday when all their friends got we go to the ice cream store or to a grocery and choose individual bars/cup... Hey, if I'm spending $ at least it takes up some time and we get to do a little family trip
Yeah so like I said it's less about money and more about health for me. So I don't want to be buying them/ giving from the freezer every time the truck comes around, that really feels excessive to me. They do get healthier frozen treats every day and special ones on shabbos.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:03 pm
Op word of advice on wording your new rule

You want them to know exactly what to expect and when and to feel excited for what they are getting vs feeling that their mother is limiting thek even on the occasion that they are getting ice cream. You can be saying the same thing, but small tweaks in the wording make all of the difference in their experience.

Don't tell them you can have up to a medium
Don't day you can have x amount of times a month/summer unless you had in camp/are fleishig

Tell them you can choose a small or medium twice a month, on rosh chodesh and one other time on another week or on x day

Be precise, clear, and express in a positive what they will be doing when

amother
Silver

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:08 pm
I let once a week in the summer. But they know if they're late coming in from playing outside for those who come in on their own at a certain time, or protest when they get called in, they lose it for that week.

amother
Aster

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:08 pm
What are your healthier frozen treats?

behappy2

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:18 pm
What I did list summer was twice or three times a summer. I didn't care if they chose to use up the privilege within the first few weeks. For me it's hard because it doesn't come to my block so we need to quickly run and chase it besides for the expense. I also offered my kids to go to the ice cream store instead. It's easier than saying once every two weeks. At least for me.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:20 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
Op word of advice on wording your new rule

You want them to know exactly what to expect and when and to feel excited for what they are getting vs feeling that their mother is limiting thek even on the occasion that they are getting ice cream. You can be saying the same thing, but small tweaks in the wording make all of the difference in their experience.

Don't tell them you can have up to a medium
Don't day you can have x amount of times a month/summer unless you had in camp/are fleishig

Tell them you can choose a small or medium twice a month, on rosh chodesh and one other time on another week or on x day

Be precise, clear, and express in a positive what they will be doing when
I like this, thanks.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:22 pm
amother Aster wrote:
What are your healthier frozen treats?
good pops or deebees freeze pops, mom pops, other good pops ices, homemade ices from blended fruits or juice or lemonade sweetened with xylitol, banana nice cream either strawberry or cocoa/peanut butter, so delicious ice cream and ice cream bars, Watermelon slushies

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:23 pm
Only on rosh chodesh and only if they ask for it

giftedmom

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:23 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
I guess you have to check your brand, but our ice cream stores soft serve is all gf.

However, I don't allow her to eat ice cream other places because so many brands are cross contaminated with gluten and/or nuts.

Thanks. I’m guessing those in a bucket are a safer choice as they’re clearly labeled.

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:31 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Thanks. I’m guessing those in a bucket are a safer choice as they’re clearly labeled.

I'm scared of buckets because what if the scoop was used for cookies and cream and then dipped in. We only do soft serve at our place that only does chocolate and vanilla in designated machines, or from my freezer. Otherwise it's single serve ice cream cups or ices. bH she's just so excited to have ice cream (she outgrew a dairy allergy) she's not picky.

giftedmom

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 10:12 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
I'm scared of buckets because what if the scoop was used for cookies and cream and then dipped in. We only do soft serve at our place that only does chocolate and vanilla in designated machines, or from my freezer. Otherwise it's single serve ice cream cups or ices. bH she's just so excited to have ice cream (she outgrew a dairy allergy) she's not picky.

I meant as in buying the whole bucket

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 11:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
I like this, thanks.

Appreciate your feedback!
From a parenting coach trainee Wink

amother
Candycane

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 2:45 pm
My kids only get the days that someone sponsored the truck so it's free I dont want to see
(kollel budget, not in Lakewood)
But I do take them to the ice cream store occasionally, usually chol Hamoed and July 4, and we usually have ice cream or frozen yogurt in the freezer.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 4:40 pm
I buy ice cream tubs and toppings. Sometimes cones. Why are we buying from the truck? I think 3 times a summer my kids get it. And it's often sponsored at an event. Gosh what people spend on...unless you have the money.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics