Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Why ruin delicious salmon??
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Yarrow

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 11:19 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
You are right, in Israel we say "al taam ve al reach, ein lehitvakeach"
Still people like to make fun of certain cuisines because their lack of spices and blandness. So what?! Smile

Again with the blandness...
My food is NOT bland. It's extremely flavorful.
Why do people think only cumin is flavorful?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 11:22 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
Again with the blandness...
My food is NOT bland. It's extremely flavorful.
Why do people think only cumin is flavorful?

Nobody said your food is bland.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 11:27 am
If you need to drown your food in spices you are doing something wrong. I find it funny that people think bringing out the best in the actual food is bland. A good cook doesn’t need to drown anything in overwhelming spices.

imanotmommy

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 12:17 pm
I agree with OP. As I child, I thought I disliked salmon, for this reason.
I recognize that that's my own opinion, so I don't question why others do it differently. Clearly they like it

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 12:26 pm
Why do y'all ruin your food by not cooking/preparing everything MY way?

(FYI....I generally bake or broil my salmon. But I've had delicious poached salmon with tarter sauce at my aunt's house.)

Reality

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 12:30 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Oh she's that kind of cook Can't Believe It
I have a SIL that thinks sugar must be included in EVERY dish. She has Hungarian roots but I suspect they mixed her up with a Polish baby in the hospital. AFAIK Hungarians don't put sugar in everything.

The Hungarians who now reside in Brooklyn put sugar in all their food.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 8:11 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
So True. I get salmon fillets. A bit of oil in pan, (half a teaspoon. ) heat well. sprinkle salt and pepper on fillet. start with skin down. 5 -7 minutes each side (depending on thickness, you will see salmon turn whitish when done). Delicious!

I do that also but with Margarine, garlic, lemon, Parsley.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 8:16 pm
I cook onion and carrots not to much water, just enough to cover the fish, but not too liitle. I once burnt it, for 20 minutes with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, parprika powder, Dill,Parsley, coriander, cumin. Add the fish and cook for 30 minutes.

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
By cooking it in water with sugar and onions ??

Bake it/ grill it/ fry it!!

OP I guess you don't have Hungarian blood. But I do! Cooked fish with kotchenyu and heimisha challah! I hope that's what they'll serve me in Gan eden!

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 10:04 pm
Took me a while to open this thread
I’m pregnant bH and regular salmon doesn’t tempt me but cold sweet poached salmon sounds like it might be nice! Not so fishy!
The only other kind of salmon I like is fish grill mesquite salmon bec they grill the heck out of it so it doesn’t taste so fishy

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 10:07 pm
Reality wrote:
The Hungarians who now reside in Brooklyn put sugar in all their food.

The ones whose grandmothers lived in Boro Park but they live in Lakewood do not.
I can't stand foods that should be spicy or savory (IMVHO) and they are sweet.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 1:35 am
My MIL makes salmon by putting it on a Corelle plate, wrapping it in saran wrap, and popping it in the microwave for exactly 10 minutes with nothing added. And her family raves about it.

Cheiny

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 1:44 am
amother OP wrote:
By cooking it in water with sugar and onions ??

Bake it/ grill it/ fry it!!

Because some people find it delicious that way too, and not “ruined.” For a change of pace people like to make it in different ways.

Cheiny

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 1:45 am
Amarante wrote:
There are many recipes for poached salmon since you can make the broth have the flavors you like.

Did you want a recipe for hollandaise sauce. Again with cold poached salmon, there are different sauces that go well but hollandaise is the absolute classic one

This is a bit of a variant but very good - the citrus and wine poaching liquid is very good and you can use it as a template for poaching if you want to use your own poaching liquid ingredients.

Citrus Poached Salmon With Mustard Sauce
Excerpt From: Alan Jackson. “The Lemonade Cookbook

SERVES 4

Poaching fish is an easy, healthy way to get dinner on the table in a flash. This bright, tangy citrus broth made with orange, lemon, lime, dill, and white wine enhances the forward flavor of the salmon, and also doubles as the base for the mustard sauce. The poached salmon also makes a terrific salad for a hearty sandwich.

2 cups vegetable broth or water
½ cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
Juice of 1 seedless orange, plus 3 slices
Juice of 1 lemon, plus 3 slices
Juice of 1 lime, plus 3 slices
2 garlic cloves
2 fresh dill sprigs, plus 1 tablespoon chopped
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
4 (5-ounce) wild salmon fillets, skin removed
Coarse salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
1½ teaspoons smooth Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey or agave nectar

TO PREPARE THE POACHING LIQUID FOR THE SALMON, pour the broth and wine into a wide, shallow skillet or pot. Add the orange, lemon, and lime juices, the sliced citrus, garlic, dill sprigs, and peppercorns. Cover the pan and bring the liquid to a full boil over medium-high heat. You want to let the flavors of the aromatics infuse into the liquid. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer gently for about 15 minutes.

SEASON THE SALMON GENEROUSLY WITH SALT AND PEPPER. Lay the fillets in the pan (the liquid should come up halfway), cover, and simmer over medium-low heat until the salmon is barely opaque in the center, about 6 to 8 minutes. Take care to ensure that the liquid never gets hot enough to boil. Remove the salmon to a side plate.

TO PREPARE THE MUSTARD SAUCE, pour 1 cup of the poaching liquid into a small pot, discarding the rest. Simmer over medium heat to reduce the liquid by half. Whisk in the butter, whole grain and smooth mustards, honey, and chopped dill; season with salt and pepper if needed. Pour the mustard sauce over the fish before serving.

Here is another version of poached salmon with no sauce

Lemongrass And Citrus Poached Salmon

Excerpt From: Rose Wilson. “150 Yummy Passover Seder Recipes: A Yummy Passover Seder Cookbook You Will Love

Ingredients

2 1/2 pounds salmon fillet
1 quart chicken stock
1 quart orange juice
2 cups white wine
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 cups chopped lemon grass
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper

Direction

Peel salmon skin, then slice into desired portions.

Mix lemon grass, garlic, onion, white wine, orange juice and chicken stock in a large pot. Put white pepper and salt to season. Boil for 5 minutes. Lower heat to a low simmer. In the poaching liquid, put the salmon for 5 minutes till soft and flaky.

Poached Salmon with No-Fail Hollandaise

Meanwhile, make the hollandaise

In a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, whisk the egg yolks with the water, lemon juice, mustard, chopped tarragon and cayenne until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Gradually add the butter, whisking constantly until fully incorporated, about 5 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, whisk in warm water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the sauce is just pourable. Season with salt.

Spoon the hollandaise over the salmon fillets, garnish with tarragon leaves and serve.

Salmon with chicken stock???

Odelyah

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 2:31 am
Chayalle wrote:
The ones whose grandmothers lived in Boro Park but they live in Lakewood do not.
I can't stand foods that should be spicy or savory (IMVHO) and they are sweet.

Ha neither do the ones whose grandmothers lived in Toronto and Kensington but they live in New England Hi

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 2:42 am
rainbow dash wrote:
I do that also but with Margarine, garlic, lemon, Parsley.

Margarine is almost a crime.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note