Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Washing kids linens

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:29 am
How often should I be washing my kids linen? They shower every night & don't wet the bed.
I've been doing it weekly but it's just too time consuming. I wonder how often it's supposed to be washed.
TIA

amother
Mimosa

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 9:58 am
Weekly is the commonly accepted interval according to most experts, but every week and a half shouldn't unduly stress anyone's immune system. How old are your children? If they're older than 7, I would teach them how to run a washer and dryer and have them do either their own linens or their own clothes, whichever was a bigger tircha for me.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 10:08 am
I do every 2 weeks. Too much work to do it weekly.
Also I bought my littler kids personalized throw blankets so it's easier to wash their linen.

At some points in time, when I was more overwhelmed with more little kids and less cleaning help, it was a lot more infrequent than once every 2 weeks.

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 10:19 am
I do sheets and top pillow case once a week, the other pillow cases and duvet cover are every 2-4 weeks depending on how overhwlemed I am and how gross it feels.

Same for adults too.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 10:22 am
I do once a week because I have cleaning help. When I didn't have help I did every 2 weeks.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 10:46 am
amother Mimosa wrote:
Weekly is the commonly accepted interval according to most experts, but every week and a half shouldn't unduly stress anyone's immune system. How old are your children? If they're older than 7, I would teach them how to run a washer and dryer and have them do either their own linens or their own clothes, whichever was a bigger tircha for me.
Stress anyone's immune system lol. Nobody ever got sick from unwashed linen unless someone who was actively sick also slept on it.

I had a severely immune compromised child and we were given an entire list of restrictions and instructions regarding wiping down toys, handwashing, going out in crowds etc but never a word about linen.

"Hygiene" as we know it today has very little to do with actual disease prevention.

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 11:42 am
Yikes I can't be the only one who washes MUCH less frequently than that. Adults, too.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 11:45 am
I do linen every week but I have a schedule and everyone's linen gets washed every other week.

Honestly growing up I think my linen was washed by my mother maybe once a year which is funny because she's a pretty clean person...

If my teens want their linen washed more often than that than they are welcome to do it on their own.

amother
Grape

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 11:45 am
amother Topaz wrote:
Yikes I can't be the only one who washes MUCH less frequently than that. Adults, too.

Don't worry there are many of us who do it alot less.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 11:49 am
Every 4 weeks for kids who don't have pullups/pampers and are young enough they're not getting oily hair, acne....
Baby and toddler, as needed. Usually once a week.
Adults, every 2 weeks.
I'm lucky I'm managing this. I find linen to be a huge job

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 8:01 pm
Once every month/6 weeks Hiding

amother
Papayawhip

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 8:07 pm
Every week.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 8:27 pm
I grew up with every 2 weeks and that’s what I do to

No cleaning help

More often when anyone is sick obviously

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 8:35 pm
Thanx all.
It's such a hassle for me as we have bunkbeds and it's a 2 person job. So I have to wait till late in the day when DH or older kids are home to be able to help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry