Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Massage Therapist

Would you go to a local, Heimish Woman from Your Community for a Massage?
Yes-If she's Licensed and Skilled  
 51%  [ 54 ]
No-I Prefer going to Someone I won't bump into while shopping  
 45%  [ 48 ]
Other-Please Comment  
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 105

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 2:21 pm
I'm thinking of going to school for Massage. I know I have good hands, and I would do home visits, and also offer massage in a spa setting. Friend of mine busted my bubble by saying that women within our community prefer to have massages by "outsiders". I'm starting to rethink. Please offer your opinions.

amother
Birch

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 2:25 pm
How does she know how everyone feels? What community is this? If you're good and offering home visits plus spa setting, you might have clients from outside the community as well.

I say go for it.. and let me know if you need to practice on someone 😉.

amother
Birch

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 2:38 pm
Oh and I'd add "professional" as important as licensed and skilled. Takes away potential awkwardness if meeting at the grocery after.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 4:38 pm
I'm not big on massages as I find them excruciatingly boring, but if I enjoyed them or needed them for medical reasons, I would go to someone competent and conveniently located. Frum would davka be a plus in my book, as I wouldn't have to explain certain things. Why would I prefer an "outsider"? Is getting a massage something to be ashamed of? How is it different, really, from having a frum hairdresser, makeup artist, dressmaker, corsetiere or any other provider of a personal service?

Golde

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 4:44 pm
amother Copper wrote:
I'm not big on massages as I find them excruciatingly boring, but if I enjoyed them or needed them for medical reasons, I would go to someone competent and conveniently located. Frum would davka be a plus in my book, as I wouldn't have to explain certain things. Why would I prefer an "outsider"? Is getting a massage something to be ashamed of? How is it different, really, from having a frum hairdresser, makeup artist, dressmaker, corsetiere or any other provider of a personal service?

Because she sees you undressed in an otherwise very private situation, I assume. Same reason as why many prefer a mikvah lady they don't know.

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 7:42 pm
Same reason. I prefer everyone who sees me undressed or even certain doctors, my therapist etc not someone I’ll bump into but that’s me I’m a very private person. I stick with all my appointments- therapist, nails/hairdresser, spa treatments, doctors in the city.
Most of my friends are the same way too.
There are some people who’d be ok with it.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 7:44 pm
I have no problem with using someone from the community but not someone I know on a personal level

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 10:25 pm
I would also go outside the community . Same with body laser hair removal

seeker

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 2:25 am
I answered yes before seeing that you're talking about undressed. I would not go skin to skin with someone I know, too weird. But there's a lovely woman in my community who gives excellent chair massages and almost medical level massage (I forgot what the method/certification was. But it was very therapeutic.) my clothes stayed on and I was very comfortable and happy to keep my business local.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 3:35 am
The best masseuse I know is a woman who lives in my yishuv and whose daughter used to go to school with mine. Other than that, we don't really know each other very well and don't interact socially. I love going to her because she is excellent at what she does and is located nearby. I'm always fully covered except for the part she is working on and the room is darkened. It also helps that my skin is smooth and taut so I'm not especially embarrassed or shy.

SuperWify

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 5:27 am
I go to a local woman and we became good friends….

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 10:19 am
Thanks all for the replies! So we're split 50/50!

I discussed it with a smart person who told me that it's all about references. If you get a reference from a good fried who says -I use her, she has really good hands!- I think I'd stand more of a chance, even for people within the community...

I guess I still have some deliberating to do...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics