Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Can we discuss Baby Reindeer?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 9:20 am
From Forbes-
Netflix’s new miniseries Baby Reindeer is trending on Netflix—and it's the kind of show that'll have you glued to your TV screen. It unravels Scottish comedian Richard Gadd’s experience with a stalker in his 20s. Find out what happened in real life, including why the woman claiming to be Martha is now threatening legal action against Gadd.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/m.....rtha/

The whole thing is intriguing.

Whose story do you believe? Are they both liars? IMO Both are definitely mentally unstable.

Fiona Harvey claims to be the real Martha and wants to sue Netflix for defamation . In an interview with Piers Morgan she said the whole thing was BS. However, other websites are coming out claiming she had stalked other people including important official government figures.
Richard Gadd on the other hand playing Donny (supposed to be himself), was called a fake by one of his former coworkers.

Everyone is invested and so am I .

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 12:47 pm
No one else watched it?

amother
NeonYellow

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 1:03 pm
I tend to believe his portrayal. He didn’t even make himself seem too impressive so can’t imagine he was lying much.
There’s also a lot of corroboration (that she was indeed a stalker)

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 1:31 pm
She openly lied on the interview with piers Morgan.
He asks how many times she met and she replies 2-3 times. Later she says it was 5-6 times. She also dismisses a joke she made on twitter about Gadd saying they were all friends. She than adamently insisted they were not friends etc.
She tweeted about him 18 times. Why would she tweet so much about a stranger ? He was a nobody back then.

She is clearly lying. The only thing she may not be lying about is the imprisonment time which was depicted on the show. Seems to have been added just for the drama

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 1:36 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
She openly lied on the interview with piers Morgan.
He asks how many times she met and she replies 2-3 times. Later she says it was 5-6 times. She also dismisses a joke she made on twitter about Gadd saying they were all friends. She than adamently insisted they were not friends etc.
She tweeted about him 18 times. Why would she tweet so much about a stranger ? He was a nobody back then.

She is clearly lying. The only thing she may not be lying about is the imprisonment time which was depicted on the show. Seems to have been added just for the drama

Wait. When she lies, it's proof that she can't be trusted, but when he lies, you excuse it a added for dramatic effect?

I think they are both liars.
She probably stalked him, but not nearly to the extant he claims. He probably encouraged it a bit for the entertainment and then exaggerated the rest.

amother
Clear

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 3:29 pm
Ah- I started a thread and no one responded

I watched it twice back to back
Imo they are both extremely unhealthy

amother
Clear

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 3:31 pm
It’s amazing how close to the real Fiona the actress was- she was awesome

Was the most compelling show I’ve ever watched

Sent from my ihpoen

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 3:38 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
Wait. When she lies, it's proof that she can't be trusted, but when he lies, you excuse it a added for dramatic effect?

She probably stalked him, but not nearly to the extant he claims. He probably encouraged it a bit for the entertainment and then exaggerated the rest.

Firstly it is harder to get a person's records in the UK. Nobody has found evidence as of yet.
Secondly there was a little disclaimer about some details having been changed to add drama.

amother
Clematis

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 4:17 pm
Before the piers Morgan interview Gadd said that his stalker was never imprisoned and that he added that

I think he’s got a lot of issues. He probably exaggerated some stuff but I 100% believe she was a stalker and a liar

amother
Dahlia

Post Fri, May 24 2024, 4:49 pm
I didn’t watch the show but only read the analyses Smile From the plot, he shows himself to be extremely unhealthy. I don’t think he is pretending to be the normal one; rather, he has a lot of unresolved sxl trauma in his past and this plays into him semi encouraging the stalking. Show sounds pretty awful to watch but apparently it’s got everyone’s attentions.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 3:49 pm
amother Clear wrote:
Ah- I started a thread and no one responded

I watched it twice back to back
Imo they are both extremely unhealthy

Sorry! Just saw your thread now. You are right. They both are.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 3:50 pm
amother Clear wrote:
It’s amazing how close to the real Fiona the actress was- she was awesome

Was the most compelling show I’ve ever watched

Sent from my ihpoen

Haha!!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 3:51 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:

This is probably true.

amother
Clear

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:05 pm
I would love a part two focusing on Martha’s story

amother
Geranium

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:11 pm
They both come across as really unsympathetic. I watched the Piers Morgan inteview and that woman is clearly deranged.

However, it was a bit idiotic to make the actor who plays the stalker so similar. Overweight Scottish woman who pretends to be (or is) a lawyer. They could have made her a Welsh or Liverpudlian fake doctor or accountant.

amother
Clear

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:36 pm
Ive seen interviews with Jessica (Martha) she’s delightful!

amother
Almond

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 6:42 pm
Personally I think it's silly that netflix heavily advertised the "based on a true story" bit and then acted surprised that people sought out the stalker's identity.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 6:58 pm
amother Almond wrote:
Personally I think it's silly that netflix heavily advertised the "based on a true story" bit and then acted surprised that people sought out the stalker's identity.

That's not what was written. Early in the first episode, a message across the screen reads, “This is a true story.”
Had they written based on a true story it would have covered them legally
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics