Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Children's clothing to give away– Etiquette?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 7:27 am
I have five sets of winter tops for boys size 2 and 3/4 that I would like to give away. The thing is, my boys wore them all winter and while they're not ripped or piling or stained (minor stain on one of them by neckline) they still look used and worn.
Should I offer it to people or give it to a local giveaway that sells it for pennies? Are people that wear second hand clothes ok with this?

I am not asking to be offensive and I hope this doesn't come across as bad, I genuinely would like someone to get more use out of them if they can. I just don't know how it works.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 7:28 am
Just be honest about the condition. It's fine.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 7:29 am
In my community, if you would post it on the WhatsApp group, people would jump at it. And my community is far from poor.
(Maybe that is why we are not insecure about hand me downs and free stuff.)

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 7:35 am
I personally only offer things for giveaway if they're gently worn/in great condition

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 7:39 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
I personally only offer things for giveaway if they're gently worn/in great condition

I guess my question is what constitutes gently worn or great condition?

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 7:46 am
Slightly worn look is fine imo.

I take hand-me-downs but I'm very particular with clothing. Including pajamas.
My friends always laugh how I baby my kids clothing. I don't. But I don't usually buy expensive. And yes I will work on a stain any way it works to get it out. I will not put on a shirt or skirt that has stains for my kid. And if the stains don't come out I def chuck.
It's just not becoming for a child of g-d to wear stained clothing.

Tights are disposable. But I will mend them in a way they look OK. If I can't then yes, it's garbage.
It absolutely is another chore but when I see other kids with holes in their shirt or tights I often wonder if their mother didn't see or didn't care.
I know lots of people don't see it this way.
My close friend always says she buys climbing beginning of season to wear. And if it gets a bit stained so be it. They enjoy the clothing to wear and not to serve it.

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 7:56 am
amother OP wrote:
I guess my question is what constitutes gently worn or great condition?

Would you let your kids wear them another season or they look too used?
Like someone said, you can post about them and explain their condition like you did here.
Or are you asking about if you can offer them to specific people? Not like on a group giveaway chat.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 9:54 am
I take hand me downs that look a drop worn but not stained...I find after washing twice my new clothes look that always too

naomi2

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 11:58 am
I have clothes for a 4 yr old girl I tried to give away and no one wanted (Brooklyn). I try to only give away things that I would be ok taking from someone else

thegiver

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 11:59 am
Do you know anyone who could use this? Leaving it outside my door. Feel free to text me and I’ll let you know if it’s still available. Leave address and phone number.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 12:11 pm
What city are you in?

I am on several community whatsapp groups. People just state item, condition, size and general location. So commonly seen terms are new with tag, like new, worn only a few times, gently used, used. Don't post if torn or badly stained.
Let the person decide for themselves if they want it. Maybe they need a smock for their kids or as an extra? Or maybe they are really needy? Some people don't care either.
People of all stripes and financial status are on these chats.
The rule on the chat is one can't sell anything they get so that people who actually need it get a chance to get it.
So much gets thrown away that others can use. Why add to a dumpster if someone can benefit?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 12:21 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
What city are you in?

I am on several community whatsapp groups. People just state item, condition, size and general location. So commonly seen terms are new with tag, like new, worn only a few times, gently used, used. Don't post if torn or badly stained.
Let the person decide for themselves if they want it. Maybe they need a smock for their kids or as an extra? Or maybe they are really needy? Some people don't care either.
People of all stripes and financial status are on these chats.
The rule on the chat is one can't sell anything they get so that people who actually need it get a chance to get it.
So much gets thrown away that others can use. Why add to a dumpster if someone can benefit?

I'm in Monsey. I'd love to be added. I would definitely have my kids at another season, they just won't fit in them. One or two tops are slightly discolored by the neck because my son drooled and I used sprays to get the stain out

My email is nevervaxxer@gmail.com

Email me if I can be added to such a type of group.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics