Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
What's the difference between white sugar and raw sugar

thankyou1

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 11:57 am
I've been hearing that "raw sugar" is "healthier" than regular processed white sugar.
Is it really healthier, and when baking is it the same ratio than white sugar. I noticed it's also a little more grainy and not as small/powdery as white sugar.
Does it affect taste/texture.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 11:59 am
Sugar is sugar is sugar.

Amarante

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 12:04 pm
No difference in terms of actual nutrition and health.

Any kind of added sugar should be eaten in limited quantity and that includes all forms of simple sugar - honey, maple syrup, molasses, brown sugars.

zaq

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 1:40 pm
Raw sugar , also called demerara or turbinado sugar, is not really raw; it is partially refined, meaning some, but not all, of the molasses has been removed. It retains a mild molasses flavor but less than dark or light brown sugar. All three forms--white, raw and brown--are insignificant as sources of vitamins and minerals, but white sugar contains the least. Choose raw or brown sugar for the taste and texture, not because you think it's more nutritious. It is only in the way that something that cost $1000 is less expensive than the same item costing $1000.01.

Less-refined sugar will impart a mildly different taste, color and texture to foods made with them. The difference may be considerable or barely noticeable.

Interesting fact, brown sugar sold commercially in the US is a fake: it is reconstituted by mixing white sugar with molasses. You can make your own by buying a jar or molasses and adding it to white sugar when needed, rather than stocking white and brown sugars in your pantry.

amother
NeonPink

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 2:33 pm
zaq wrote:
Raw sugar , also called demerara or turbinado sugar, is not really raw; it is partially refined, meaning some, but not all, of the molasses has been removed. It retains a mild molasses flavor but less than dark or light brown sugar. All three forms--white, raw and brown--are insignificant as sources of vitamins and minerals, but white sugar contains the least. Choose raw or brown sugar for the taste and texture, not because you think it's more nutritious. It is only in the way that something that cost $1000 is less expensive than the same item costing $1000.01.

Less-refined sugar will impart a mildly different taste, color and texture to foods made with them. The difference may be considerable or barely noticeable.

Interesting fact, brown sugar sold commercially in the US is a fake: it is reconstituted by mixing white sugar with molasses. You can make your own by buying a jar or molasses and adding it to white sugar when needed, rather than stocking white and brown sugars in your pantry.

I was aware that that is how brown sugar is made. What I did not know is that the molasses is a byproduct of processing the sugar cane or sugar beets. Why leads to the question: what is the point to take it out and then put it back in again? Why not just leave it alone in the first place?

Amarante

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 2:36 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
I was aware that that is how brown sugar is made. What I did not know is that the molasses is a byproduct of processing the sugar cane or sugar beets. Why leads to the question: what is the point to take it out and then put it back in again? Why not just leave it alone in the first place?

Cheaper to do.

Much easier to dye white sugar with a bit of molasses than to make small batches of real brown sugar.

zaq

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 4:28 pm
Same thing for whole wheat flour. Most national-brand whole wheat flour is just white flour to which bran has been added, as I discovered when I tried sifting it and ended up with a sifter full of bran that was many times coarser than the flour. (King Arthur I assume is the real deal because when I sift it, it goes through, bran and all.) And then they have the chutzpah to charge extra for this so-called "whole wheat"!

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:24 pm
Also coconut sugar is a joke. It's not healthy. It's still sugar.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 6:15 pm
zaq wrote:
Same thing for whole wheat flour. Most national-brand whole wheat flour is just white flour to which bran has been added, as I discovered when I tried sifting it and ended up with a sifter full of bran that was many times coarser than the flour. (King Arthur I assume is the real deal because when I sift it, it goes through, bran and all.) And then they have the chutzpah to charge extra for this so-called "whole wheat"!

I think it means that that brand grinds flour coarser and king arthur grins mech finer.

zaq

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 8:38 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
I think it means that that brand grinds flour coarser and king arthur grins mech finer.
No. Because the flour goes just as easily through the sieve while the bran stays behind. I'm talking half a cup of very coarse bran left in the sieve after sifting just four cups of flour.If they just ground the whole grain more coarsely, the flour itself would also have trouble going through the sifter.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 9:06 pm
zaq wrote:
No. Because the flour goes just as easily through the sieve while the bran stays behind. I'm talking half a cup of very coarse bran left in the sieve after sifting just four cups of flour.If they just ground the whole grain more coarsely, the flour itself would also have trouble going through the sifter.

I actually once asked this question from a miller and he said he doesnt think the endosperm is coarser because the bran is coarser. the white part-endosperm-

The endosperm is very granular as it is made of the starch molecules so during the milling process breaks down to a fine power with minimal grinding no matter the milling process whereas the bran layer as it the protective lay of the grain is tough and needs a lot of energy to break down to fine particles

thankyou1

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 11:09 am
At the end of the day, can I bake with raw sugar the same way as white, or will the texture and taste be different.

amother
Foxglove

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 5:10 pm
Bump
Anyone ever bake with Raw sugar?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking