Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Teen girls vaping 😢
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 2:31 pm
I was out in the morning, and I saw a group of yeshivish looking girls vaping. They can't be more than 14-15 years old. It made me so sad, my heart is crying for them/their parents. Is this becoming a thing? Teen girls vaping? It's so scary, my hashem protect our kids from the world.

ectomorph

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 2:33 pm
Better than a lot of alternatives.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 2:35 pm
I don’t know that it’s something so horrific your heart has to cry…

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 2:37 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:

Why not? It's a sign of rebellion that can often go further than just the vaping. Very unfortunate.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 2:38 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:

I find it very sad. I have girls approaching that age. It's a scary world for teenagers.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 2:39 pm
So sad to hear this.

I guess until now, girls vaping or smoking was socially unacceptable which made for healthier mothers and less addiction. Once we normalize it, there is no way back.

The struggle is hard enough for our boys.

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 2:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
I was out in the morning, and I saw a group of yeshivish looking girls vaping. They can't be more than 14-15 years old. It made me so sad, my heart is crying for them/their parents. Is this becoming a thing? Teen girls vaping? It's so scary, my hashem protect our kids from the world.

Thats horrible!!!! Makes me so sad to hear this

zaq

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:09 pm
It IS terrible, and not just because of the message of social defiance that the teens are semaphoring. Vaping is not just a harmless teen fad like wearing a hoodie inside out. It is a genuine health risk. There are two issues: A. absorbing into the body toxic chemicals including nicotine, volatile organic compounds (VOC's),and heavy metals--substances you don't want anywhere near your teens or yourself, for that matter; and B. inhaling microparticulates, including the carrier liquid. Even if a liquid is otherwise innocuous, delivering it deep into the lungs in microdroplet form can cause serious, sometimes irreversible lung injury.

The CDC has identified a new condition called EVALI--E-cigarette/Vaping-Associated Lung Injury. By 2020 over 2000 people in the US were diagnosed with this condition and 68 of them died.

Of course more is known about the hazards of smoking because smoking has been around for longer. But evidence against vaping is mounting. Is it safer than smoking? It's starting to look less and less so.

It may interest you to know that in the late 1800s or so, yeshiva bocherim were encouraged to smoke tobacco, in the tragically mistaken belief that this was a healthy habit. Smoking depressed the appetite, thereby easing hunger pangs, and increased alertness, thereby making it possible for bocherim to learn for longer hours. One sefer of the period, the title of which I can unfortunately no longer recall , also claimed that smoking sweetens the breath, preserves the teeth, and clears the complexion. Maybe they were comparing smoking to chewing tobacco. Spitting out a plug of damp brown leaves is hardly a thing of beauty, but then a pile of burned-out cigarette butts is not precisely aesthetically appealing, either.

Bottom line, it takes time for the effects of any innovation to make themselves evident. Don't assume it's safe just because it's different from something known to be unsafe.

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:28 pm
Why more horrified about the girls than the boys?

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:30 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Why more horrified about the girls than the boys?

Does it need to be spelled out for you??

While it is horrible that teenage boys should be vaping, it is not unheard of and a lot more socially acceptable when it comes to shidduchim.

Girls are unheard of and akin to smoking. And I would sooner do a shidduch with a boy who vapes than a girl. It shows on unstable behavior.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:35 pm
Hope this doesn't become the new normal. 😕

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:46 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:

While it is horrible that teenage boys should be vaping, it is not unheard of and a lot more socially acceptable when it comes to shidduchim.

Girls are unheard of and akin to smoking. And I would sooner do a shidduch with a boy who vapes than a girl. It shows on unstable behavior.

But you didn’t answer the question? Why are you setting different standards by gender? How is that fair?

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:52 pm
Unfortunately today in teens circles, vaping isn't seen as the same thing as smoking. I had a nephew pull out a vape in my kitchen. I asked him if he would smoke a cigarette in front of me, in my kitchen. He said absolutely not, so I said good, then put that away. It is the same as a cigarette. But for some reason they do not see it as such.

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 6:11 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
Unfortunately today in teens circles, vaping isn't seen as the same thing as smoking. I had a nephew pull out a vape in my kitchen. I asked him if he would smoke a cigarette in front of me, in my kitchen. He said absolutely not, so I said good, then put that away. It is the same as a cigarette. But for some reason they do not see it as such.

Marketing was very successful. Talk about a dead industry making a resounding comeback.

Yes op, its very sad state of things.

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 6:43 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
But you didn’t answer the question? Why are making setting different standards by gender? How is that fair?

No one is making them now. They're set. There are lots of things wrong with society and this is one of them. You wanna change the world?

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 7:18 pm
Why is so sad for girls to vape over boys? Simply, these girls are future mothers! We do not know the long term repercussions of vaping, yet it can definitely be harmful to future pregnancies. And the nicotine makes it hard to stop. The women are usually more sensible and watch over their health more than the men.

zaq

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 8:31 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:

I wouldn't consider a shidduch with a smoker or vaper of either gender regardless of age. Total deal-breaker. Not because it shows instability but because it shows that they're a. careless about their health and b. careless about the health of the people around them. Just as we now know about second-hand smoke and side stream smoke, we will eventually hear about second-hand vaping and side stream vaping.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 8:37 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:
Why is so sad for girls to vape over boys? Simply, these girls are future mothers! We do not know the long term repercussions of vaping, yet it can definitely be harmful to future pregnancies. And the nicotine makes it hard to stop. The women are usually more sensible and watch over their health more than the men.

Are you seriously asking this question?
Do you see no difference between boys and girls smoking or drinking?

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 8:40 pm
amother Copper wrote:
Are you seriously asking this question?
Do you see no difference between boys and girls smoking or drinking?

I do not.
If girls will be future mothers boys will be future fathers. I don't understand why they are put to different standards.
I think it's unhealthy to vape for any gender. But to cry over seeing girls vaping while yeshivish boys get a big pass that doesn't make sense.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 8:46 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:

So you're essentially saying you don't actually care about the health concern of vaping but rather what your community has dictated that it means. They've told you for boys it's just to be expected and for girls it means she's heading in all sorts of terrible directions.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children