Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Rant- models not wearing correct size

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 12:40 am
I'm getting so frustrated shopping for my girls. The models are never wearing the correct size. It's 3 inches above their knees. How can I know what the actual sizing is???? If the model is a size 8 and wears a 5 in the pics, how does that help me know how it sits???? Let her wear the 8 so I can see if it's wide, narrow, runs short or long....
I've bought and returned so much this season because many Jewish sites aren't giving lengths for the dresses and the models aren't wearing it correctly. And many dont offer free returns... My kids are skinny, narrow and really tall. They can't just wear anything and the non Jewish stores aren't long enough for them anymore unless it's specifically maxi or midi. End rant.

LittleMissMama

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 4:46 pm
I totally agree. And my tween daughter now talks about how it looks so much cuter when shorter, smaller etc Which clearly it must or why would they put them in a too small size??

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 4:48 pm
Agreed. I get it, they want models to look good. But it's super unhelpful for me when I'm trying to figure out sizing.

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:29 pm
Real models are usually at least 5 foot 10 and often over six feet. Everything is going to be short on them. Some websites tell you the model is ___ tall and is wearing a size ____. But where the hem hits the model's legs will depend on how long or short her torso is relative to her legs, and that they don't tell you. If your dd has a short torso and long legs, any skirt will be shorter on her than it will be on someone who has a longer waist and shorter legs.

Even if they did tell you all the particulars like the model's measurements, fashion photography stylists have a million tricks of the trade that make a dress look good. You aren't seeing all the tweaking they do. For example, if the bodice is too loose they'll stick a roll of toilet paper in the back of the model's bra to take up the excess fabric, or they'll pin it or clip it to make it tighter. Even on runway models there are all kinds of tricks like using double-sided "fashion" tape to keep a neckline sitting just so. But for still photography the sky's the limit.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:33 pm
I just had this with one of my daughters in a skirt snd please don’t get me started on the shells.. my daughter said she feels so fat now.. why do they do this?? Now I see why there’s a weight issue with girls.. if it’s not true to size..

zaq

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:37 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
Agreed. I get it, they want models to look good. But it's super unhelpful for me when I'm trying to figure out sizing.

Fashion photographers have no interest in helping you and your daughters. Their job is to photograph the merchandise in a way that will make people want to buy it, period.

GLUE

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 5:37 pm
Excuse my ignorance,
The models are not dressed Tznuis?

If yes complain complain complain complain about that, ask why should you shop in a Jewish store if you are not selling Tznuis stuff?

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 8:05 pm
Joining this rant!!!

I teach middle school girls and did a unit on Tznius. As part of the unit I asked them what some of the biggest challenges are today to keep the halachos - not a personal question, but what do they see as the biggest pitfalls for pre-teen girls in general and this was the #1 answer!! It is so hard to shop when they're looking at frum sites (we're out of town, they can't just go to the store) and the models are wearing clothes that don't cover elbows/knees/collarbone - how are they supposed to know if it will actually fit them properly!? And this is what they constantly see as "pretty", when things actually cover them properly it's somehow not pretty anymore. Which is a tragedy.

One year when I taught this unit one student said her mother called a store (the girls in their family are all tall) and asked for length measurements for a dress. She was given the measurements and was so shocked that on the models the skirts didn't cover their knees given that the length was generous enough for her tall girls. They told her they hem the dresses/skirts for the models.

Why can't we show our girls models dressed beautifully in tzniusdik clothing?!?!

The sizing in some stores is crazy. I'm a 0-2 in regular brands and I have some skirts from Jewish stores that are a 10-12. What do people do who usually wear a 10-12? It's not normal! B"H I have a healthy self-image and it doesn't bother me, but for impressionable young girls who are self-conscious about their size - this doesn't help!!

And once we're on the model topic... why can't models on the Jewish sites SMILE?!

zaq

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 8:20 pm
Sulky models have been in vogue for a long time. It's supposed to be alluring, I guess. Implying that they just had a fight with a lover, maybe? Makes no sense to me, but it is what it is. If you look at secular fashion ads, the models are also, for the most part, not smiling. It's only in publications for older adults that all the models are smiling--presumably because older adults don't find sullen faces attractive. I didn't think young people found surly faces attractive, either--at least I never did--but maybe I was atypical.

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 8:23 pm
zaq wrote:
Sulky models have been in vogue for a long time. It's supposed to be alluring, I guess. Implying that they just had a fight with a lover, maybe? Makes no sense to me, but it is what it is. If you look at secular fashion ads, the models are also, for the most part, not smiling. It's only in publications for older adults that all the models are smiling--presumably because older adults don't find sullen faces attractive. I didn't think young people found surly faces attractive, either--at least I never did--but maybe I was atypical.

100% - exactly why the frum stores should NOT be modeling sulky models! Especially kids!!!

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 8:24 pm
zaq wrote:
Fashion photographers have no interest in helping you and your daughters. Their job is to photograph the merchandise in a way that will make people want to buy it, period.

This is not on the photographers, this is on the owners of the brands. If you're marketing to frum people who specifically want clothing that they can dress their kids in without worrying about sleeves and skirt lengths - let us see what the clothing actually looks like! Don't alter the clothing for the photo shoot and mislead all the online shoppers. They know perfectly well that the details matter - the details are exactly why I'm shopping there instead of at Zara or Gap.

Btw I don't have this issue when I'm shopping for myself. It's specifically a problem with kids clothing.

GLUE

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 8:42 pm
zaq wrote:

I have called up stores and asked why should I buy your clothes the models that you are using look as if the clothes are so uncomfortable. Why should I buy clothes that my kids are going to hate-The most common reply is I am not the owner I just work here,when asked if I can speak to owner they say I'll pass it on.

bobeli

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 10:23 pm
Send emails, contact by tweet or Instagram.
The owners check or sometimes manage the social media accounts.
My husband is friends with the owner of a frum brand and when He tells him about the non tznius pictures or design he says this is what the costumer wants, no one complains besides you, we sell out anyway so apparently no one cares.
So please speak up

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 5:37 am
On that note - why oh why are the frum clothing stores selling not tznius clothing??? Skirts not covering knees (and I'm short!) elbows, collar bones on show. Like seriously?? Isn't that THE. WHOLE. POINT. of Jewish stores. Banging head

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 6:01 am
I'm having a very hard time this season. Kidichic necks are way too open. The height of the dresses only fit my shorter kids. Not my average kids. I shmsmshopped sale now and their are jewish designer dresses over $100 that are left over because the sleeves are short. Or the sales woman say that their customers sent the clothing for alteration because it was a beautiful dress. People seriously?!!

DrMom

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 6:07 am
I find internet shopping to be more trouble than it's worth.

I prefer to go in person and try things on, feel the fabric, check workmanship up close, etc.

We all did this a few years ago.

joonabug

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 6:11 am
yeah I hear u but I think like its so pashut that a person needs to try on clothing. I would never in a million years shop online to look for a dress, its just not even worth it.

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 6:17 am
joonabug wrote:
yeah I hear u but I think like its so pashut that a person needs to try on clothing. I would never in a million years shop online to look for a dress, its just not even worth it.

That only works if you live in a frum community and have time to shop in stores. I have neither of those benefits at the moment, and have to make do with guessing sizes from online stores and hoping they will be tzniusdik when they arrive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics