Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
How is it right to have sales on memorial day?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 12:04 pm
I just dont get it. Why, in america, are there sales on memorial day? Its a day to remember fallen soldiers, not to reap the benefits of remembering the fallen.
How is that right? I find it so completely off.
Antone else?

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 12:06 pm
Every American holiday is just a marketing ploy

amother
Pear

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 12:06 pm
Because everything has been commercialized. Thats how capitalism works.

They offer a discount to the families of vetarans and it becomes socially acceptable

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, May 26 2024, 12:13 pm
Same as veterans day. As a grandchild of USA veterans I hated that. Give a discount to veterans- fine. To make it a commercialized marketing ploy for everyone? Sorry.

yc

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 2:01 am
as someone living in israel - an israeli colleague of mine just could not wrap their head around this as well. In Israel fallen soldiers is a real thing and very personal to many.

hodeez

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 2:03 am
Lol what soldiers? It's bbq day

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 2:14 am
hodeez wrote:
Lol what soldiers? It's bbq day

Not funny at all. This is exactly what is wrong.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 2:15 am
yc wrote:
as someone living in israel - an israeli colleague of mine just could not wrap their head around this as well. In Israel fallen soldiers is a real thing and very personal to many.

Im the op. Im in israel too.
But I came from the states and always found this to be awful.

hodeez

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 2:29 am
amother OP wrote:
Not funny at all. This is exactly what is wrong.

I agree, doesn't change the facts . It's a hot day where people take off work to go to the park and make bbqs. It's not taken as seriously as it should be, bc our country doesn't value our soldiers enough.

SuperWify

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 3:08 am
I don’t think Israelis make bbqs on yom Hazikaron. I agree the sales and BBQs are in bad taste.

amother
Bone

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 3:17 am
A co-worker wished me "Happy Memorial Day". I wasn't sure how to respond.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 3:51 am
Let's be real. In Israel it's a tiny country fighting for its existence. There's mandatory conscription, which means nearly everyone has spent time in the army. We have fought, and continue to fight, bloody wars for our very existence as a country.

When was the last time America fought a war on their own territory? What percentage of Americans personally know someone who was killed in battle during the last decade? Two?

Obviously it's odd to have a day called Memorial Day that isn't taken seriously. But it does make sense that most Americans can't relate.

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 4:11 am
Americans don't have the same relationship to their military that Israelis have to theirs. For most, it's some distant, faceless entity that costs a lot of money. So for most, they appreciate the extra day off at a time when the weather is generally nice, so let's have a BBQ and do some shopping.

In Israel, most people have actually served in the army. And everyone knows someone who was killed either as a soldier or in a terror attack. Every Israeli understands what the army is for and what the true cost is. They have their BBQ the following day, when they celebrate the reward for their sacrifices, having their own state in their own homeland. But on the day meant to remember, they know how to remember. Most Americans simply do not understand outside of people actually directly connected with the military.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 11:30 am
SuperWify wrote:
I don’t think Israelis make bbqs on yom Hazikaron. I agree the sales and BBQs are in bad taste.

I was talking about in america.
In Israel memorial day is taken very seriously and is a completely somber day.
Nobody is having a bbq and there are no sales for isrseli memorial day either.

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 11:55 am
It's been too long since there was a war that actually affected American lives. So Memorial Day is just another day off for people to enjoy, barbecue, and shop. And most people don't even know what the day is really supposed to mean. Nor do they care.

Meanwhile, it's so nice to judge people who actually DO know what memorial days are for and who actually HAVE felt the pain and loss of war. Because definitely spoiled brat Americans know so much about what it's like and are totally in a position to judge.

Not referring to imas here but to Americans in general of course.

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 11:56 am
amother OP wrote:
I was talking about in america.
In Israel memorial day is taken very seriously and is a completely somber day.
Nobody is having a bbq and there are no sales for isrseli memorial day either.

Because we know what war means and we have who and what to mourn.

Unlike our American contemporaries who have no idea and just like to chant support for genocide against Jews.

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 11:57 am
It’s a day people have off so they use it to shop and spend time with family and friends
What’s wrong with that
Talking about Americans

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 12:11 pm
amother Daylily wrote:
Americans don't have the same relationship to their military that Israelis have to theirs. For most, it's some distant, faceless entity that costs a lot of money. So for most, they appreciate the extra day off at a time when the weather is generally nice, so let's have a BBQ and do some shopping.

In Israel, most people have actually served in the army. And everyone knows someone who was killed either as a soldier or in a terror attack. Every Israeli understands what the army is for and what the true cost is. They have their BBQ the following day, when they celebrate the reward for their sacrifices, having their own state in their own homeland. But on the day meant to remember, they know how to remember. Most Americans simply do not understand outside of people actually directly connected with the military.

100%
How many of us have even ever seen an American soldier on duty in uniform? Yet everyone has seen an Israeli soldier in uniform if they’ve been to Israel.
I for one have seen US military in uniform only when I was abroad and saw them then on a US military base.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 12:36 pm
What is everyone supposed to be doing on memorial day exactly?

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, May 27 2024, 12:40 pm
My Great Uncle Leo was killed in the Battle of the Bulge in January 1945, fighting against the Nazis. HYD. May his neshama have an aliya.

My mother always used to put his picture out on Memorial Day.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days