Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How would you define "terrible two's"??

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 12:05 pm
I need to convince my speech therapist that she shouldnt age out my 2 year old just yet. yes, he did match up to his age level on the test she gave him, but he still cannot express himself when he wants or needs something. he cant tell me (or anyone else for that matter) what it is he wants, and that frustrates him tremendously and leads to tantrums all day long.
I know that if I tell her that he's throwing tantrums all day, she will say, he's at the terrible two stage, nothing I can do about it. but I dont think a child this young should have to be so frustrated because he cant communicate. if he drops a car where he cant reach it, he goes hysterical until I figure out that he dropped it and give it back to him. if he wants something to eat, he will be screaming and crying until I can figure out what he wants. note: even if once I figure it out, and say no, we cant have that now, he's ok with that. just as long as I understand what it is he wants.

so how do I diffrentiate for her?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 12:14 pm
he never tells you what he wants? my 2 yr old throws tantrums the same way. but if I ask him what he wants before tantrum, he answers. like this morning I asked him what he wanted for breakfast. he answered "oguck" (yogurt.)

I find that often when he tantrums he's just really thirsty. once he's had a drink he can calm down.

other times he's really frustrated with communicating. I wouldn't worry unless this happened all the time.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 12:20 pm
A TWO YEAR OLD who doesnt sleep enough so they are whiney, or gets frustrated easy cuz they cant communicate right so they cry and scream alot

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 12:22 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
he never tells you what he wants? my 2 yr old throws tantrums the same way. but if I ask him what he wants before tantrum, he answers. like this morning I asked him what he wanted for breakfast. he answered "oguck" (yogurt.)

no. he doesnt know how to say what he wants.

mummiedearest wrote:
other times he's really frustrated with communicating. I wouldn't worry unless this happened all the time.

it is now 12 in the afternoon. he's been up for 3 hours and has had at least 4 screaming episodes so far.

amother wrote:
A TWO YEAR OLD who doesnt sleep enough so they are whiney, or gets frustrated easy cuz they cant communicate right so they cry and scream alot

this child sleeps about 13 hours a nite, and takes a 3 hour nap. he is NOT overtired.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 12:25 pm
but again, he NEVER tells you what he wants? we've had mornings with multiple screaming episodes. when you catch him in a good mood and offer him a choice, does he answer appropriately?

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 12:44 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
but again, he NEVER tells you what he wants? we've had mornings with multiple screaming episodes. when you catch him in a good mood and offer him a choice, does he answer appropriately?

if I SHOW him 2 different things, he can point to the one he wants. but if I just SAY it, he wont tell me what he wants. he doesnt know the words for the thing he wants.

cubbie

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 12:50 pm
If he's not very verbal, have you considered baby signing classes? That way he can learn to express what he wants and needs in a way other than talking. I've never been, so I can't tell you how effective they are, so just a suggestion that came to mind.

pacifier

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 1:20 pm
even a good communicating child goes through the terrible two's. sometimes they are just tired or frustrated or do not know how to pronounce properly something and they'll throw a tantrum.
sometimes they don't even know why they are having a tantrum!!!!
this too shall pass.... (I guess when they 'll start arguing and then we'll say why can't you just cry it out and forget it!!!!!!)

Akeres Habayis

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 1:24 pm
can u take him by the hand and ask him,"what do u want?"
a igloo? a toy? something to drink?etc
I know plenty of 2yr old's who dont speak at all!but they communicate by pointing,and understand every word
I think he is mamosh frustrated that his mommy doesnt' understand what he wants,and it frustrates him.
once u have figured out the item that he wants,and u say to him over and over again"oh u wanted water? "moshie has water"moshie was thirsty for water"mommie will have water too"thru out the day anytime someone drinks water,u can say daddy is drinking water,mommie is using the water to wash dishes
I got that from parents.com
they say repetition is very important so next time,he may understand,and may be able to say water.

jewmama83

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 9:18 pm
I would say maybe try the baby sign language. I did it with my son, and it REALLY worked, but does your son understand what you say? I have seen a child before who threw tantrums ALL the time b/c he had what to say and just didn't know how. There were times he wanted a tape to be playing and had no idea how to tell someone, so he would throw himself on the floor and scream b/c no one was listening to him, and he was frustrating everyone around him including himself. It was suggested to the mother that he get speech therapy. Once the boy as taught to talk he just popped and kept talking. If this speech therapist won't evaluate nad test your child, I'd say find another one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics