Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Where is a good English library?

mugsisme

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 10:12 pm
My son is in Beer Sheva this year, but he has off almost every other Shabbos. He said that the yeshiva has no English library. Any ideas where he can get books from? He reads both secular books and Judaic books.

hila

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 2:04 am
I just emailed my SIL to ask her.
She lives near B7 and works tehre. her kids are avid English readers. But I do know they spend a LOT on books for them when in Chul.
And if he is desparate I am sure she would lend your son something. Is he into SF ? (My 19 year old nephew loves all that fantasy stuff)

cubbie

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 3:16 am
I have no idea about B7, I know in Jerusalem the British Counsel have a library in the Gan Technology near Malcha, maybe there is something similar nearer to him?

hila

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 4:21 am
From my SIL
the AACI has an English library. I recall that it has a very reasonable yearly membership fee (probably even more reasonable for students). It is located in the Matnas in Schuna Yud Aleph, Rehov Namir 11.
Library hours are : Sunday through Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., and Monday and Wednesday from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.
Miriam Green is the AACI counsellor in Beersheva. If he has any other questions about the Library he can call her at the office : Tel: 08-643 3953

Hope this helps . If not pm me and I will tell you more about my SIL and her books

catonmylap

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 4:39 am
Our "solution" is to buy used books.

We are not in Beer Sheva, but what we do in Jerusalem is we get to the used book sellers every once in a while and stock up.

In the US we were big library people, but here we find it easier to just buy them used.

hila

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 4:49 am
And I belong to a book club. Nothing erudite at all. We each pay 25 sh / month (about 15 of us) and buy a pile of new books (or 2nd hand - but new to us) each month. After about a year we sell off each book. That gives us enough every month to buy some more.
We keep up with the best sellers, and manage to read a lot without feeling the pinch too much.

Since I rarle go out, I dont think 25sh / month is a lot for an evening of chit chat, nice food (we take tuens at hosting) and about 7-8 books to read.

hila

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 4:58 am
And if your son gets to jerusalem - and wants 2nd hand books - tell him to go to Sefer Vasefel.
(between the back of mercaz paamon and rehov Yafo)
They give about 50% back on the books they sell you.
And they have new books too.

mugsisme

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 10:20 am
Thank you all. My son's internet is down for now, so I will get this to him later. (He is hoping it will be back up today.) Is it expensive to mail books from the US?

hila

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 10:23 am
Well - if you send books worth more than $50 he will pay tax. There may also be a collection fee on the pacel. THough the post office do not usually charge.

You may be better off finding someone coming here or giving himmoney to spend in the 2nd had stores.

But at least try the AACI library first.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions