Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
HELP-Devora Heller's recipe gets baked at 350 or 375?

Mevater

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 7:44 pm
I don't see the temp in the recipe.

BP MOM

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 7:48 pm
I baked it earlier and it came out heavenly!

mama-star

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 7:53 pm
here's another question - how many cups in 5 lbs of flour?

abismommy

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 7:57 pm
I think about 16-17; depends if it's sifted or not (not pre-sifted; sifted after you buy it). I usually got 3 5-cup recipes from a 5 lb bag and had some left over. but why don't you measure as you take it out of the bag?

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 8:35 pm
I heard that 3 /12 -4 cups equals a pound

morahg

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 10:07 pm
350. Best recipe you'll ever use. It is delicious as is, and is amenable to adjustments (e.g., a little more or less sugar, an extra egg or a bit more oil for a richer challah). In actuality, it is her technique that makes the final product so wonderful (make a batter out of the water, sugar, yeast, eggs, oil, salt and 6 cups of the sifted flour. Beat in the mixer until smooth. Then add the rest of the flour). Three cheers for the Challah Maven (and if you ever have the opportunity to take one of her classes/demonstrations do so by all means-even if you never bake challah, or have been baking it for 30 years)!

Dayzmom

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 8:34 am
mama-star wrote:
here's another question - how many cups in 5 lbs of flour?

Me too, me too. I have a big 10Kg bag from Canada and I don't have a kitchen scale to weigh it on.

octopus

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 4:53 pm
I found that baking my challah at 375 for a shorter amount of time worked better than 350. It was slightly raw when I took it out. And when I rewarmed right before shabbos. it tasted heavenly and fresh out of the oven!

Fox

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 4:55 pm
morahg wrote:
350. Best recipe you'll ever use. It is delicious as is, and is amenable to adjustments (e.g., a little more or less sugar, an extra egg or a bit more oil for a richer challah). In actuality, it is her technique that makes the final product so wonderful (make a batter out of the water, sugar, yeast, eggs, oil, salt and 6 cups of the sifted flour. Beat in the mixer until smooth. Then add the rest of the flour). Three cheers for the Challah Maven (and if you ever have the opportunity to take one of her classes/demonstrations do so by all means-even if you never bake challah, or have been baking it for 30 years)!

Here! Here! Mine always comes out perfect, and I'm not a great baker by nature. In fact, I don't have a mixer, so I do it by hand -- still comes out perfect.

octopus

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 4:57 pm
fox, you do it at 350? If so, for how long?

Pineapple

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 7:19 pm
happy2BaMommy wrote:
I found that baking my challah at 375 for a shorter amount of time worked better than 350. It was slightly raw when I took it out. And when I rewarmed right before shabbos. it tasted heavenly and fresh out of the oven!

how long do you bake it for?

octopus

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 9:16 pm
I don't have a set amount of time.

I just bake until the top looks golden. But usually the bottom is kind of raw.

MyKidsRQte

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 6:58 pm
I put them in @ 450 for 10 minutes without preheating the oven, and then I put it on 350

cookielady

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 8:00 pm
I bake my challas at 375. When I think its done, I turn one over and tap the bottom. If it has a hollow sound, thats how I know its done.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 9:14 pm
Another hurray for the Challah Maven. I have a recipe that I prefer over hers but her easy technique for a six braid has revolutionized how I make challah, amazing!!

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 10:08 pm
what's the recipe?? I am really interested in an easy good challah recipe..thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads