Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Help there's an achbar/mouse in the room where I sit now!

ruth

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 3:34 am
help, how do I get rid of the mouse chewing behind the bookcase? eeeee

my dh is blaming me for the mouse because I don't clean well! shock

I told him it would probably help if we put a screen door on the sliding glass door to the marpeset/balcony (we leave it open for air)

I can handle most kinds of problems, roaches, spiders, various other insects, but rodents are something else for me. I actually jumped up on the coach embarrassed

it trying to get out. my dd didn't mind trying to catch it, but it seems we have more than one!!!! I want to bring in the neighbors cat or get a snake.... oy, I hear it banging around now..... help!

mimivan

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 3:40 am
we used a glue trap with cheese...worked both times....trouble is you have to kill them yourself. I couldn't find a snap trap here in my neighborhood. The salesman said it was immoral and cruel to animals to use a snap trap (like a glue trap and then bashing their brains in with a heavy object is any nicer Rolling Eyes )

One hint is buy new rubber gloves and do not touch the cheese or the trap with bare hands...the mouse will smell your scent and won't come near it.
Obviously you have to leave the room for the mouse to go to the trap...I hope he will prefer the cheese to the bookcase.

On the cleaning bit, I don't think there is a connection with mice. With bugs, maybel. We had flies last week because of a broken screen and left the door open to see if they would go out (I thought it can't get any worse). well, they all left. So I said to dh..."the house must be fairly clean, otherwise the flies would have stayed."
and then we both agreed, "No, the place is such a dump even the flies didn't want to stay! " LOL LOL

Ima'la

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 3:57 am
We have found bamba to work much better than cheese.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 4:49 am
When Kiryat Sefer first came into being, I heard that there was a mice problem.
So, they shipped in cats.
That's it for the mice.

shosh

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 4:52 am
The best thing to use, I have found, is these red pellets that you can get from a hardware store. But make sure you only put them somewhere that your kids can't touch them, as they are very poisonous. In your case, you'd put it behind the bookcase bc that's where the mouse came from. Don't touch them with your hands (put sandwich bags on your hands when you place them) as the human scent puts them off. The mice eat them, and then they usually flee and die outside the house. You might find a dead one in the vicinity, but it doesn't usually happen. And then they usually keep away for a few months. Close any holes. It's not so much to do with cleanliness, but more to do with holes, closeness to the ground, etc. In my case, they live in wall where my sink is and they come through the undersink cupboards.

Good luck!

Aidelmom

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 4:52 am
Chossidmom thats an old story about Yeruashalaim - that sir moses montifeur brought them in because of the mice and thats why theres a big cat problem. I don't know if its true though. I have a feeling it has to do with the proliferation of garbage dumpsters. Like when I've lived in places w/ a dumpster there was always cat(s) floating around and when I lived in places w/ garbage cans etc there weren't cats.

cubbie

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 5:03 am
You can get these tube things that you put the cheese in and when the mouse goes in the door closes but the mouse doesn't get hurt then you take it outside and open it up to set the mouse free. I have no idea where to get them though!

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 5:06 am
Aidelmom wrote:
Chossidmom thats an old story about Yeruashalaim - that sir moses montifeur brought them in because of the mice and thats why theres a big cat problem. I don't know if its true though. I have a feeling it has to do with the proliferation of garbage dumpsters. Like when I've lived in places w/ a dumpster there was always cat(s) floating around and when I lived in places w/ garbage cans etc there weren't cats.

It may be a story about Yerushalayim but there was a mice problem in Kiryat Sefer about 15 years ago, right before I moved here. My neighbors told me about it.

Seraph

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 5:18 am
Aidelmom wrote:
the problem was with snakes. which is y they dont get rid of cats- cats are preferable to snakes...

Aidelmom

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 5:22 am
seraph where was the snake problem? In yerushalaim? and cats kill snakes?

Reminds me of a funny childrens book about people bringinging in animals to chase out other ones. In the end they had an elephant..

Ima'la

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 5:27 am
Yeah? Well someone should tell the cats around here. In RBS, we have cats AND snakes! Well, you see cats a lot more than snakes, b"H, so maybe things are better than they'd be without the cats...

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 7:47 am
Don't leave food open. We got mice because one time I was away, and for some reason dh asked the cleaning lady to switch around 2 cupboards. One contained food and the other pots and pans. What he didn't realise is that the one which had pots and pans had no back, so mice came, attracted by the food. we've had them ever since. Exploding anger Although mainly in the garage.

Also if someone is doing building work near your house you may get mice.

poemmom

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 10:06 am
Recommend peanut butter not cheese.

greenfire

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 10:08 am
*meow*

happyone

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 10:17 am
When I got married we lived in a totally gross apartment building. One day my dh walked in to find his newlywed wife on the counter top (literally!) I had stood up there for over 1 1/2 hour waiting for dh to come home since I saw a mouse running between my legs. (those were before the cellphone days when I would've insisted he come home STAT.)

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 10:23 am
Aidelmom wrote:
seraph where was the snake problem? In yerushalaim? and cats kill snakes?

Reminds me of a funny childrens book about people bringinging in animals to chase out other ones. In the end they had an elephant..

It reminds me of this:
Quote:
There was an Old Lady
There was an old lady who swallowed a fly
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - perhaps she'll die

There was an old lady who swallowed a spider
That wriggled and wiggled and tiggled inside her
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die

There was an old lady who swallowed a bird
How absurd to swallow a bird
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider

There was an old lady who swallowed a cat
Fancy that to swallow a cat
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird

There was an old lady that swallowed a dog
What a hog, to swallow a dog
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat

There was an old lady who swallowed a cow
I don't know how she swallowed a cow
She swallowed the cow to catch the dog
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat

There was an old lady who swallowed a horse
She's dead, of course
LOL

Lani22

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 10:29 am
ruth wrote:
help, how do I get rid of the mouse chewing behind the bookcase? eeeee

my dh is blaming me for the mouse because I don't clean well! shock

I told him it would probably help if we put a screen door on the sliding glass door to the marpeset/balcony (we leave it open for air)

I can handle most kinds of problems, roaches, spiders, various other insects, but rodents are something else for me. I actually jumped up on the coach embarrassed

it trying to get out. my dd didn't mind trying to catch it, but it seems we have more than one!!!! I want to bring in the neighbors cat or get a snake.... oy, I hear it banging around now..... help!

We have mice and my apt is absolutely spotless- no food anywhere except the fridge and closed food in cabinets. it has nothing to do with cleanliness usually. You prob have holes that are letting the mice in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry