Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Hurray, killed all fruit flies!

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 11:14 am
Mazel Tov. I did some creative googling and followed the instructions for a home made fruit fly trap. It worked, within one hour!

Do this:

Take a disposable soup bowl or container. Put in about an inch of water, squirt some dishwashing soap, and add some red wine. That’s your mixture.

Next, take plastic wrap and poke some holes. Cover the bowl.

The flies will smell the sweet smell and come close, give them peace - step away. They will then go in through the holes and within a few minutes will drop into the water and drown.

bubby

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 1:24 pm
A Groiser Yasher Koach!! Now mice??? Rolling Eyes

happyone

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 1:31 pm
So Shakleemom, you did find something to do today.

GAMZu

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 1:44 pm
I'm not into murder...
But I did notice they were sitting all over a can of corn I just opened. So I covered it with the lid again, which left a tiny crack. Left it overnight, and in the morning swooped a bag over the whole thing. Very Happy About 30-40 in there. Now I'm waiting for DH to take them out and let them loose. Smile

(I used to breed fruit flies, so they have a soft spot in my heart.)

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 1:52 pm
We have lovely blue light machines in 3 places in the house. The bugs and the bees are so attracted to the pretty blue... then ZAP! Out they go like a bolt of lightening, into the big blue bug beyond. The lights are supposed to attract mosquitos but mosquitos are too smart for that. Got any can-of-food tricks for mosquitos?

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 2:14 pm
For mosquitoes, just drink 2 oz of lemon juice every morning, they will hate you!

mamacita

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 4:12 pm
I put eucalyptus oil on my lightbulbs, a dab in the fans, on sheets, wrists, etc. works for several hours apparently to keep them away. To kill them I like to use my dh shoes. <<wap>>

chavs

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 5:10 pm
We have a bad case of fruit flies and made this trap, it didnt work! I am going mad (madder), anymore tips would be great!
gamZU, you used to breed them???

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 5:19 pm
dd breeds them too ... Twisted Evil along with her "compost heap" ... I keep saying genug shoin ... take it outside ... Banging head

PIP

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 7:10 pm
I just bombed my house w\ one of those orange little bombs things. Open the windows and leave your house for a few hours. You'll come home to a mess of dead fruit flies.... better than them buzzing around your head when you walk into the door!

Ima'la

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 7:14 pm
chavs wrote:
We have a bad case of fruit flies and made this trap, it didnt work! I am going mad (madder), anymore tips would be great!

Best thing to do is to find out what they're after - and get rid of it. Once that's gone, they usually leave on their own...

GAMZu

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 9:07 pm
Green, what's with the compost heap business? LOL

I used to breed them because we bred them in bio class for genetics observation and stuff. Someone gave me a salamander that they caught as a present and I read they feed on fruit flies. So I asked the teacher to give me a few and their food and vial, and she did. Smile

The thing is, the salamander didn't take to the fruit flies. I tried serving them alive, dead, and even put them to sleep with the special solution that we used in class (makes the flies sleep so we can observe their genetic characteristics). But still the salamander didn't eat them.

So I went to a pet shop and bought regular salamander food. And I decided to keep and breed the flies anyway. Put them in a jar, watched their larvae and all. It was really cool.
My mother is a tzadekes!

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 9:47 pm
chavs wrote:
gamZU, you used to breed them???
I know why, because you stood there and watched them. They need to be ignored, they don’t like to be watched while they explore their death traps. Also, you might want to uncover one area, not more than inch, for the stupider flies to find their way in easier. It’s got to work! Water + yellow dishwash soap + red wine. Maybe I didn’t mention yellow? Not sure why, but I think it’s the citrus smell. Keep me posted.

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 9:52 pm
kool GAMZu ... they have a large barrel jar that dd throws in compost stuff for a bigger compost outside ... and the fruit flies simply love it ... I hate them both ...

chavs

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 5:34 pm
I didnt try with yellow but I will.
gamzu that actually sounds interesting but I really hate all kinds of insects from spiders, to roaches (yuk!), to woodlice/earwigs to fruitlies, and dont forget the catterpillar that made me sream and freak my ds out. Every time he sees a fly he already yells, mummy, bee!!! Pour kid I am turning him into me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics