Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Freezing gefilte fish

elf123

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 12:11 pm
Does anyone know if it is okay to freeze cooked gefilte fish? A few weeks ago, we had almost a whole loaf leftover. I vaguely remembered s/o telling me they had frozen it once, so I wrapped it well and stuck it in the freezer. I was thinking of defrosting it for Shabbos...has anyone ever done it and did it taste normal? Thanks...

Lani22

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 12:12 pm
I have done it- its tastes fine.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 12:16 pm
I always do it. If you're worried about it being soggy, put it in the oven to dry out.

ChutzPAh

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 1:48 pm
My friend does it, but I think it tastes too spongy.

stargazer

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 2:25 pm
I do it all the time. I put it straight from the freezer into the oven to defrost. Its not the same as fresh, but still good!

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 2:28 pm
you cook it, slice it up, put parchment or wx paper in a pan, layer the fish on its side, and then put wax paper over that until you have no more fish and then cover the pan with foil and put it in the freezer. I do it yamim tovim where I need fish for days and I just make a ton, ahead of time, and defrost it the night before so I dont waste anything.

OldYoung

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 2:29 pm
I do it all the time. We only need a quarter of a loaf every week, so I only cook it once a month. I cut it up into four sections, freeze three- each in a separate bag- and then defrost before Shabbos. LOL

stargazer

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 2:52 pm
With the price of gefilte fish, that's a great idea Smile

buzzinmom

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 3:34 am
dont you need to freeze it with some sauce?? wont the fish get dried out? especially if you are putting it in the oven to defrost??

sarahd

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 3:44 am
I don't defrost mine in the oven and it doesn't need any extra sauce other than what's already absorbed into the fish.

buzzinmom

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 3:53 am
sarahd- do you wrap it up or put it in a container to freeze it??

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 6:15 am
I fry my gefilte fish in slices, keep how many I need for that week, and freeze the rest. then when I take them out, I cook them in tomato sauce and water. I've gotten loads of compliments, mother and grandmother have been doing the same thing for 40 years!

buzzinmom

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 7:28 am
fry your gefilte?? really?? do you bread it and stuff or just like defrost the roll and fry it like that??

pinktichel

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 7:36 am
I let my roll thaw a bit and slice. Egg, bread and fry.

Made it this week and the guests loved it! It's great to make when I know I wont use a whole loaf. I find that this (and fish patties) are the only way to freeze cooked gefilte fish.

To defrost, I just take out as many pieces as I want and let it get to room temperature.

sarahd

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 3:36 pm
buzzinmom wrote:
sarahd- do you wrap it up or put it in a container to freeze it??

I wrap it in aluminum foil and freeze it in a Ziploc bag.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 3:51 pm
buzzinmom wrote:
fry your gefilte?? really?? do you bread it and stuff or just like defrost the roll and fry it like that??

no breading. Just slice when still semi frozen (it's just easier that way, but works fine when defrosted too), fry both sides, then cook in tomato sauce and water whenever you're ready.

mamacita

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 4:06 pm
I freeze mine in plastic baggies.

Thanks for the tips on keeping it from getting soggy! I'll have to try it next time as it's happened a few times if I left it in the broth too long during the original cooking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics