Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Feeling torn about going to shul
Previous  1  2  3

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 9:42 am
mimivan wrote:
CM, you're not saying that you want to hear people's screaming toddlers all morning/afternoon RH and YK...

Very few babies or toddlers will come to my shul YK as we have no eyruv.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 9:47 am
shalhevet wrote:
Do you have a source for this 'psak'? Where is it written that women (particularly mothers of babies) have to go to shul?

You misunderstood, or only quoted part of what I said. Kids after they can open a siddur and daven should be in shul. Not earlier. The whole discussion was saying that kids who can't or won't daven shoudn't be in shul, duisturbing those who need to be there.

shalhevet wrote:
What is that to do with anything? Buying a seat is an only fair way of paying your part in the expenses (electricity, cleaning etc) the shul incurs so that you can daven there.

Many shuls auction off the "zchus" to pay the shul's rent, the shul's electric bill, etc. The payment for your seat goes to other things. Supporting a shul is tzedekah - it even says so in the davening.

TammyTammy

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 11:01 am
chocolate moose wrote:

Many shuls auction off the "zchus" to pay the shul's rent, the shul's electric bill, etc. The payment for your seat goes to other things. Supporting a shul is tzedekah - it even says so in the davening.

Wow! I've never heard of this. So they pay extra to pay the thousands of dollars to support the shul? That's admirable.

Nonetheless, wouldn't a better solution be to divide the cost up among all those who wish to support the shul? This way more people have a share in the mitzvah.

Tammy

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 11:18 am
The rabbi of the shul is a professional fundraiser and I am loathe to tell him either how to run the shul or how to do the job that he is an expert in.

During the year anyone can make pledges and pay them out, sponor kiddushim, rosh chodesh events, or events, etc.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 10:14 am
mimivan wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:
amother wrote:
(mitzva d'oraisa that you are mechuyav in!!)

This is not true!
Women are NOT chayav to hear shofar blowing!

I don't know if you are the same Crayon who is Chabad.

If so, I'll mention the Alter Rebbe said the women should hear shofar.

I know this is a year old, but a woman's chiyuv for shofar blowing came up in another thread.

I finally looked this up, I assumed you were correct.

In the Shulchan Aruch HaRav, he does NOT say anywhere that women should hear shofar. They certainly can, and they should make a bracha on their own if they are hearing it in a group of only women where the man was already yotzei, but they are NOT chayav at all.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 10:20 am
Interesting! my husband blew it for me since I was sick and didn't go to shul.
I'll ask him what he learned when he comes back.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur