Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Crying at night

Rivky

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 1:07 am
Does anyone have any good ideas of how to block out ds crying at night for dh? When ds is up at night and crying dh hears him since my apt is really small. And dh doesnt get his needed sleep thereby causing him to have a hard time functioning the next day at work. Besides for earplugs-what else can be used?

chavamom

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 1:19 am
I'm tempted to say something about growing up. It's really hard for all of us to function when we are up at night with an infant, mommies included.

Rivky

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 1:24 am
I know some of you will say let him share the nights but I don;t want that. Let him get his sleep

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 1:56 am
chavamom wrote:
I'm tempted to say something about growing up. It's really hard for all of us to function when we are up at night with an infant, mommies included.

It depends on the family situation/dynamics. If the mother is a SAHM with one or 2 kids and could take it easy during the day and even take a nap during the day, then I dont see why the husband should be obligated to get up to a crying baby too. But if the mother also has to wake up at 6 and run off to work, and run a household of 8, then yes, the husband should share the nighttime cryings.

Op, whats wrong with the earplugs? They dont help?

Rivky

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 6:51 am
Nope earplugs dont help for some odd reason

slushiemom

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 6:58 am
Can he fall asleep listening to soft music? Headphones with music can be nice to sleep to and will block out crying

overworkedraizy

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 6:44 pm
try closing both bedroom doors yours and the babys and cover under the blanket
or if you really wanna be nice go to your baby sleep in his room ???!!!!!!!

flowerpower

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 6:48 pm
How old is he? Why is he crying? How long does it take for him to fall back asleep on his own?

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 7:56 pm
I’m sorry if your dh is a light sleeper. I don’t think there’s a solution. If my dh changes the pattern of his breathing, I wake up and then have to work hours to fall back asleep.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 8:24 pm
What about a sound machine?

Also, what is being done to get the baby back to sleep? How long is he crying for?

Rivky

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 10:36 pm
Its actually not a screaming baby. Its just when he wakes up to eat dh hears him

bebe3

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 11:11 pm
Even though he gets awoken from the baby he should thank his lucky stars that he has a wife like you who doesn't make him get up to change the diaper or get you a drink of water (like I do). Even though I stay home and get to "rest" somewhat the next day my husband is mature enough to realize that these long nights are for a short while. He is also mature enough to be sympathetic to my 4 hours of interrupted sleep and sore breasts. I'm sorry to not be sympathetic to a husband who complains about laying in bed waiting to fall back asleep..

chavamom

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 1:10 am
bebe3 wrote:
Even though he gets awoken from the baby he should thank his lucky stars that he has a wife like you who doesn't make him get up to change the diaper or get you a drink of water (like I do). Even though I stay home and get to "rest" somewhat the next day my husband is mature enough to realize that these long nights are for a short while. He is also mature enough to be sympathetic to my 4 hours of interrupted sleep and sore breasts. I'm sorry to not be sympathetic to a husband who complains about laying in bed waiting to fall back asleep..

I was biting my tongue not to say this. Children come with interrupted sleep, even past babyhood. Get used to it.

Rivky

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 1:11 am
chavamom wrote:
bebe3 wrote:

I was biting my tongue not to say this. Children come with interrupted sleep, even past babyhood. Get used to it.

well, bebe3 said it for you

Ima'la

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 6:45 am
Rivky, I understand you. Rivky didn't say her DH is complaining. Yes, it's a fact of life, but if something can help... My DH also has a hard time falling back to sleep after getting woken up at night, he can't nurse anyway, plus I usually do fall back to sleep more easily. So I'm the one who gets up when the kids wake up at night - and if his help isn't needed (which it almost never is), then why should he get woken up for nothing? Of course, it's hard to find a system where you can hear the baby and he can't... Earplugs work for my DH - maybe a different brand would be better? Also, I once met someone who had custom-made earplugs (sort of like an in-the-ear hearing aid - but only to block out sound). I think those are supposed to work even better. Pricier, obviously, but not prohibitive if it's important, and perhaps a good investment for him?

drumjj

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 9:06 am
I have the opposite problem I have a very hard time going back to sleep once im woken up by a child and can end up staying awake for hours at night whereas my husband falls back to sleep in two mins. sometimes I get up and sometimes he gets up we take turns. and yes at the moment I could stay home and sleep and he works but when u cant fall asleep all day then it doesnt help a situation. the fact is that when u have kids u have sleepless nights. at the moment my daughter is three and a half and has started all of a sudden waking up at one and wanting only me and at four and then not going back to sleep and its not easy. so we take turns.

gryp

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 9:31 am
Bring the baby to your bed so you can attend to him faster?
(I j ust know how some people are going to react to this idea. LOL )

shopaholic

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 10:48 am
I agree with chavamom & bebe. DH told me he'll help with the baby in the evening, b4 we go to bed & if she's up early (like 6am this morning) he'll be the one to get up,but middle of the night it's my turn because he has work the next day. That's fine with me & he doesn't have the chutzpah to complain if she cries more than usual or if I walk around the room shushing her. He's just greatful that he gets to stay in bed.

speciwoman

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 10:53 am
Maybe a fan can block out the noise?

jemappelle

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 10:05 pm
perhaps a white noise machine
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics