Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Making cookies/cakes healthier

Bambamama

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:11 am
I have this basic choc. chip cookie recipe that slowly I've been trying to make healthier and healthier. Each time I try using a higher percentage of whole wheat flour and less sugar. I've replaced the margarine with oil, but now I'd like to try replacing the oil with applesauce. So my question is, how does this change the texture*, and can it be replaced entirely or just partially? As far as sugar, any good suggestions for natural sugar substitutes?

*I once tried this with a new muffin recipe and it came out a bit rubbery. Is this what applesauce does?

meirav

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:34 am
I've been successful in substituting half the oil for applesauce in cakes and muffins.

I never tried cookies.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 5:09 am
Applesauce works better in cakes and muffins than in cookies. They will be rubbery without oil/margerine.

Bambamama

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 12:37 pm
What is splenda exactly, a chemical?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 12:39 pm
If you use King Arthur whole wheat white flour, then you don't have to blend it with any white flour at all.

I always substitute half the amount of sugar with splenda.

In cakes I use applesauce instead of oil.

gamekeeper

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 12:41 pm
its a sweetner that apparently is healthier... although I wouldnt mind hearing how or why

sunshine!

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 12:45 pm
I use Arrowhead Mills Pastry Flour which is whole wheat and it is still light and not with that strong nutty flavor that is so common to WW. You can also replace sugar with xylitol or stevia, both natural sweeteners.

Maya

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 8:54 pm
gamekeeper wrote:
its a sweetner that apparently is healthier... although I wouldnt mind hearing how or why
It's not necessarily healtheir. It's just won't make you gain the weight that sugar would.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins