Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Halloween Candy
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

momoffour

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 6:19 pm
When we first moved to our house which is in a mixed neighborhood, we got a lot more people ringing the bell. By now our neighbors have mostly figured out that we don't celebrate halloween and they don't stop by our house. But we do get many other people from all over and there is nothing wrong with having some candy available to give out. In fact our rav suggested that we do give if someone comes. There's nothing wrong with making a nice friendly impression. A little bit of kindness goes a long way!!

octopus

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 6:28 pm
I am prepared with candy, just in case. Though, this year is a little more complicated with halloween being friday night. I do not want my house egged.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 6:42 pm
last year, having just moved to a new neighborhood, I bought a few packs of candy just in case. I figured we'd have at least one visitor. not a one showed up! guess who was stuck eating the kit kats...

octopus

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 6:50 pm
oh, good. Maybe because it's the city people don't want to go to a house that is not familiar. Upstate I remember my parents having to run to the store a few times to restock.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 6:51 pm
octopus, I think on your block the kids will go to the decorated houses. just make sure not to leave a jack-o-lantern outside of your house.

chanagital

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 6:54 pm
to say that you are jewish means nothing unfortunatly... there are to many non-religious jews that celebrate that awful holliday..... I always tell my kids any holiday where pple love to scare other pple isn't one I want to be a part of. We go out to din din about the time the sun goes down when we can... like this time we won't be able to but there is a rabbi's tish at our shul... so we won't be home. When we are home we just turn out the lights and go to the back room.

octopus

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 6:55 pm
It's amazing here how over the top some of the decorations are. Peoples front yards have turned into graveyards with the most ridiculous epitaphs.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 7:01 pm
I love the cotton spiderwebs on the healthily green bushes. they're really funny.

I actually like some of the friendly scarecrows I see on people's lawns. I wouldn't use them myself, but they're kinda cute.

my husband was telling me on sukkos how he found in the ksa that you shouldn't decorate your sukka with pumpkins and the like inscribed with psukim because the pumpkin would rot.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 7:11 pm
Shoot me. I love it.

octopus

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 7:15 pm
some people even have Halloween lights- kinda like the Xmas lights except with orange colors. They go all out over here. The street one block away from me looks like a lightbulb in december time.

NativeMom

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 7:21 pm
My family always had candy available for trick or treaters. This year now that we're living in an area with mostly non jews we'll have candy available. I don't believe there's anything wrong with it.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Oct 31 2008, 5:57 pm
We always gave out candy to anyone who came but then started just being out at the times when trick or treating is going on (nowadays they have set times bc bad things have happened to kids...) or we just shut off the lights in the front of the house....no big deal.

Stepmum

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 6:40 pm
My parents always had Kosher Candy, and gave to the children who came to our door. We lived in a neighbourhood with alot of irreligious Jewish families, and my father would always make a Bracha with the Jewish children. We knew that we didn't keep this holiday, but that didn't mean we couldn't give candy to those that did.

I think we'd have been giving Jews a bad name by ignoring people's knocks, and pretending not to be home.

zipporah

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 11:36 pm
Stepmum wrote:
My parents always had Kosher Candy, and gave to the children who came to our door. We lived in a neighbourhood with alot of irreligious Jewish families, and my father would always make a Bracha with the Jewish children. We knew that we didn't keep this holiday, but that didn't mean we couldn't give candy to those that did.

I think we'd have been giving Jews a bad name by ignoring people's knocks, and pretending not to be home.

There's a difference between you feeling it's OK to give out candy yourself, and between feeling forced to give out candy. It doesn't give Jews a bad name. There are lots of religions which don't believe in participating in Halloween. If one feels it sends the wrong message, it should be OK not to do it. Thst's between you, your Rav, and Hashem.

And BTW if you choose to live in a neighborhood that says it's OK for kids to damage your property because you don't participate, that's pretty sad. Maybe some diversity training in that school system is in order.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics