Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Oy! people sleeping in the streets

yo'ma

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 6:10 pm
I just came back from taking a walk (a long one, I'm soo tired) and saw a lady and man sleeping on a mattress in middle of the street. Not literally the street, the sidewalk Rolling Eyes . It's so sad. I have also seen a whole family pitch up a tent in middle of a park nearby and that's where they lived until they were kicked out by, I'm supposing, the cops.

chanagital

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 6:13 pm
That is indead sad to see... . I just think that I am a paycheck away from that life and I thank HaShem for my hubbys job.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 7:45 am
Had the same thing on Shabbos. Was walking home from Shul (we almost live in suburbia) and saw in a small wooded area a human sized blanket in a bundle on the ground. DH went to invetigate and B"H the blanket moved. but it was very sad that even in our area there are homeless.
We explained to DS that the man doesnt have a house to live in and he said "but everyone has a house in Yisrael!"

BennysMommy

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 7:55 am
Yes it is sad. We saw a man sleeping on the street on Friday night. We tried explaining to Benny that he doesn't have a house and it's so sad. Another day someone was asking for money on the subway bc he has no food or money to buy food for his kids. We gave him a package of cookies from the diaper bag and told Benny that his kids don't have cookies and we are sharing them with them. I know he doesn't get it but one day he will.

Unfortunately a lot of the homeless here have children and use them to bring in more money.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 8:17 am
I don’t find it sad. The downward spiral to homelessness is an emotional process, not one that involves eviction = sleeping on the street. First people have life suck for them for a while. Then they give up on life and sometimes get addicted to quick fix’s to make them temporarily forget. Then they run out of money supporting these new habits. Then they disconnect from family and friends because they are sick of being nagged by them. Then they’re oh so alone and hate the whole world and refuse to get help. So they don’ end up in a shelter, they don’t take food from the church and so on. Then they end up sleeping in the street, begging for change, and eating from the trash. It’s not sad. It’s just another side to humans that B’H we haven’t become.

BennysMommy

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 8:34 am
ShakleeMom wrote:
I don’t find it sad. The downward spiral to homelessness is an emotional process, not one that involves eviction = sleeping on the street. First people have life suck for them for a while. Then they give up on life and sometimes get addicted to quick fix’s to make them temporarily forget. Then they run out of money supporting these new habits. Then they disconnect from family and friends because they are sick of being nagged by them. Then they’re oh so alone and hate the whole world and refuse to get help. So they don’ end up in a shelter, they don’t take food from the church and so on. Then they end up sleeping in the street, begging for change, and eating from the trash. It’s not sad. It’s just another side to humans that B’H we haven’t become.

That's what I find sad. That they have given up on themselves. It is sad.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics