Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken soup chicken ideas

Rosemarie

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 12:10 am
Ok, I need an idea here, but this is a bit of a weird one.

Any idea what I can do with the chicken bottoms from my chicken soup to turn them into a main for shabbos. It's just for my husband and I, and we are quite traditional in our shabbos foods, like no sloppy joes for shabbos... just baked or roasted chicken of some variety.

NativeMom

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 12:11 am
This isn't a main dish but I usually save the chicken for chicken salad. My favorite is chicken avocado salad that was a hit the last time I made it.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 12:20 am
make chicken in flaky dough.. like a deli roll but with chicken..

ss321

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 12:36 am
we are also very traditional in our foods (ie fish soup chicken tzimmes farfel kugel flanken). if the chicken (+ flanken! didnt totally fall apart (some weeks, if the soup cooks for reeeally long, it does), I just serve it on a platter. no garnish. ESPECIALLY if its just me and DH! just arrange them nicely, and serve just like that, why ruin a good thing by patchkeing w/ it?

goodheart

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 12:45 am
I eighter rebake the chicken from the soup I add spices or duck sauce
or I make chicken salad or I fry onion add chicken pieces spices at the end I add rice

Rosemarie

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 12:52 am
ss321 wrote:
we are also very traditional in our foods (ie fish soup chicken tzimmes farfel kugel flanken). if the chicken (+ flanken! didnt totally fall apart (some weeks, if the soup cooks for reeeally long, it does), I just serve it on a platter. no garnish. ESPECIALLY if its just me and DH! just arrange them nicely, and serve just like that, why ruin a good thing by patchkeing w/ it?

Yes, that sounds like us, same menu except no flanken usually. I only make something more than baked stuffed chicken if we have guest or for yom tov. But for some reason, I am not so sure my husband will go for chicken from the soup (maybe because he never seemed to like eating it by my mother when we ate there, or because his mother never serves it).
Do you just take chicken out from the soup and serve it?
Maybe I'll ask my husband if he would mind if I do it this week.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 12:56 am
I happen to love chicken from the soup, with some salt sprinkled on it.. yum! I agree, just serve it like that!
It happens to be the only way my father eats his chicken on friday night.. he hates heavy food.

ss321

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 1:04 am
Rosemarie wrote:
ss321 wrote:

Yes, that sounds like us, same menu except no flanken usually. I only make something more than baked stuffed chicken if we have guest or for yom tov. But for some reason, I am not so sure my husband will go for chicken from the soup (maybe because he never seemed to like eating it by my mother when we ate there, or because his mother never serves it).
Do you just take chicken out from the soup and serve it?
Maybe I'll ask my husband if he would mind if I do it this week.

yea. I take it out and serve it just like that. put it on a nice platter. just what my mother does and also what my MIL does. I also make paprika chicken - when its just us, I buy like 4 chicken legs and bake that thurs nite. if were having guests a while chicken worth. sometimes I make "unique" things like in addition to everything ill make - instead of salt and pepper or yerushalmi, a different type of noode kugel. but no things like sloppy joes (that is a weekday food I cant even imagine) sushi (saw a thread about that recently)....and just like beauty & the beast says - just a bit of salt and thats it! amazing. I dont know this is how I grew up...

sllyjllybn

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 2:10 am
I make chicken pot pie knishes. they are a patchkey but really yummy.

goodheart

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 2:13 am
sllyjllybn wrote:

how do u make it?

sllyjllybn

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 2:18 am
I make a flaky dough, and while thats in the refrigerator, I saute an onion 2 carrots 2 potatoes and sometimes peas if I have them. I add flour, spices, the cubed chicken and some broth. stir till its thick. roll out the dough and put the filling in. I used a chicken pot pie recipe but changes it so the filling wouldnt be so liquidy. I make it up as I go most of the time so im sorry I dont have an exact recipe.

ss321

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 2:46 am
sllyjllybn wrote:

yum! I make this too sometimes when we have leftovers...but I dont make soup often, I make like 3 wks worth, and we go to our parents nd in laws for shabbos liek once a month each...theyre so not a patchke! I do it with the ready made dough and it takes like 10 min. its like deli roll but yummier!

justmom

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 3:14 am
mash up the chicken, add a diced onion and some mushed carrot from the soup, an egg and a little matza meal or bread crumbs, some salt and garlic powder. Fry in little latkes-- Tadum-- chicken croquettes.

bebe3

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 8:41 am
I'm actually planning on making this today. You can saute' some onions, carrots, mushrooms and a head of cabbage sliced. Then add the chicken. put in some spices like salt, pepper and garlic. Put it into egg roll wrappers then fry. Serve them warm for shabbos with duck sauce or sweet and sour sauce. So simple and delicious.

lovmyboys

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 8:44 am
NativeMom wrote:
This isn't a main dish but I usually save the chicken for chicken salad. My favorite is chicken avocado salad that was a hit the last time I made it.

Sounds yum...can you post the recipe please?

NativeMom

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 10:15 pm
lovmyboys wrote:
NativeMom wrote:

Sounds yum...can you post the recipe please?

So sorry for taking so long....
So I don't use measurements. I just cut up the chicken add chopped onion and avocado. I add mayo, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, maybe a little cayenne pepper...very simple.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey