Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Moving to bed and getting rid of paci?

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 7:35 pm
What do you think? We are moving ds to a bed in about 3 weeks (when the bed is being delivered), he'll be about 2 1/2. At the same time, we were thinking about getting rid of the pacifier. He only has it in bed - napping or at nighttime. So, we were thinking about getting rid of it when he got the big boy bed. What do you think? Is it a good idea, or would those two huge changes be too traumatic?

yo'ma

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 7:38 pm
That's what I did and he was around that age and it was easy. We, b"h, didn't have any problems. If there was anytime he asked for his pacifier, I told him that he has to sleep in the crib. He didn't want that. Now, 1 1/2 years late, with the baby in it, he wouldn't be so accommodating, he'd want to sleep in the crib to be like a baby Confused .

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 8:14 pm
We don't want him to have the crib. B"H we're expecting and we want to put it away immediately so there's no jealousy, like the baby is taking his bed. I don't see this being easy. He loves his paci.

shoy18

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 8:17 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
We don't want him to have the crib. B"H we're expecting and we want to put it away immediately so there's no jealousy, like the baby is taking his bed. I don't see this being easy. He loves his paci.

I thought my ds was addicted to his paci and I put off getting rid of it for so long, one morning I woke up and said thats it no more paci, and decided I was going to work on it. I told ds paci is going and he just said ok and that was that.

jba

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 10:21 pm
I really want to get rid of DD's paci. She's two and a bit. I am also considering moving her to a big bed at about 2 1/2. I have talking to her about the paci, it's really a comfort item. It's almost like she needs it. I understand, I sucked my thumb (embarassing admission here) until I was 16! I feel so bad when she is screaming, and I HATE screaming, so I usually give in - even though we also had said only in the crib....she's our first so it's super hard....don't know what to do.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 10:32 pm
don't do both at the same time. One at a time is always better, you don't want to pull all his security away from him at once.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 11:05 pm
Mimisinger wrote:

I am in the same situation. I'm also planning on putting my 2 and 1/2 year old onto a toddler bed shortly. He still takes a bottle to sleep and we were trying to decide when to take that away from him. I think we'll probably end up waiting till he turns 3 and gets payos so he'll feel like a big boy.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 11:11 pm
Anon-you can work on bottle in a slow way-putting in only water, then in sippy....

Mimi-you can talk about him getting a new bed until it arrives...most kids don't have a hard time changing beds, he is still in his room which is familiar. I would take out the paci once he falls asleep. Also I would work on paci a few weeks after the new bed arrives. He might need the paci to transition to the bed.

micki

Post Sun, Nov 09 2008, 11:30 pm
my kids told my 3 yr old that in a big bed she cannot have a paci. so one day I find her on her way to the attic. I said what are you doing? she says going to get my small bed. I said why?
she says so I can have my motzetz!
so we gave her permisson to use it in the big bed...
I will never get her to get rid of it

challi

Post Mon, Nov 10 2008, 11:12 am
I wouldn't take both away all at once. My dr. once told me that too many changes at once can cause your child to regress. Especially if you need him in the big bed I'd not push your luck. Additionally if you are due soon, that's a lot of stress for a little kid. New bed loss of comfort object and new baby. I also assume you are going to start trying to potty train in the next few months as well. I'd try to give at least 1 month padding for him to adjust between each big new change, just not to overwhelm him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics