Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Acceptable time before sending payment reminders and how to

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 11:11 pm
what's an acceptable time frame before sending someone a reminder for an outstanding payment and what's a polite way of phrasing it?

(I work from home so I'm not some big corporation)

Marion

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 1:41 am
I'd say the first reminder could be as soon as a week after the payment deadline. This could be just a phone call.

"Hi, this is so-and-so. I noticed that your last invoice is still unpaid, and I wanted to make sure you received it."

If it stays unpaid after 2 weeks (assuming a cheque is being sent in the mail), I'd think you could send a polite letter.

"Dear X,
Further to our telephone conversation 2 weeks ago, your last invoice remains unpaid. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to make arrangements to settle your account."

If another 2 weeks go by I think you could word it even more strongly.

"Dear X,
I would like to bring to your attention that your account is still outstanding. Should you not make arrangements to settle it within X time, please be advised that I will explore all avenues open to me to collect my outstanding fees."

If you have a work-in-progress you could also let them know that all work is being suspended pending receipt of payment.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 6:16 am
Quote:
I'd say the first reminder could be as soon as a week after the payment deadline. This could be just a phone call.

Although I should I don't actually stipulate a payment deadline. I simply invoice them when the work is done and expect to be paid soon after. Usually I do get paid relatively soon but occasionaly I need to give a reminder.

So the example I'm thinking of now is someone I sent an invoice to 2 and a half weeks ago, she said she would forward it to the payments department and I didn't hear anything since.

so I sent an email earlier asking nicely that she takes care of it soon. I was just wondering if 2 weeks is too soon, since when we get bills in the mail there is a 30 day payment deadline. But then again, those are big corporations and I'm just a 'little' person with a small home based business.

Emee

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 6:56 am
In general home based businesses should bepayed right away but in future maybe you shoudl include a payment date?

At this point if I were you I would send weekly reminders but 1 month would be the cut off b4 I woudl get very angry.

Is the person frum? Halachically you have 30 days. At least that is what my dry cleaner told me once. He never calls peopel b4 30 days because he siad it is the halacha. I didn't personally look it up.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 7:58 pm
I just got back and apology and an explanation that the accounts department apparently never received her correspondence.

I was really just asking in general what's an acceptable time frame but not very concerned about this particular person.

anyway thanks for your responses
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers