Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
ISO recipe for dill

Fabulous

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 9:49 am
I don't necessarily need a recipe for a salad or dip but I figured I would put it here. For R'H I made Beauty and the Beast's delicious salmon wellington that called for fresh dill. I bought a whole bunch and I didn't make that many. I already made dill dip and I still have so much leftover dill. Any ideas on what to do with it. I know it was cheap but I think it's baal tashkis.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 9:52 am
Chopped fresh dill goes wonderfully in so many things. It's great when partnered with egg, as in egg salad or deviled eggs. It also goes great in tuna salad. It can be used with roasted potatoes. I love dill. Your post just reminded me that I have a bunch left over from my dill sauce. I should figure out something to do with it.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 9:53 am
Cucumber salad: equal parts vinegar and sugar, with some salt and pepper to taste. Onion if you like, and DILL.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 9:55 am
Oh, and BTW: I bring the dill home and rinse it. I take out the yellow sprigs and whatever doesn't look right, then chop the whole bunch and freeze it. This way, there is no waste and I have dill whenever I want it. The only thing is that I keep it in a plastic Ziploc and if I don't close it well, dill goes all over the freezer. I just cleaned out a bunch of leaves today.

NativeMom

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 9:56 am
I make a barley veg soup and add dill to it. Its really good.

Saute 1-2 onions and 2 garlic cloves in a pot with oil
add water
add chopped carrots, celery, and yukon gold potatoes
add red lentils, green split peas, and barley
salt, pepper to taste
add dried parsley and dill
bring to a boil and let simmer for an hour or two
you can add mushrooms as well
This soup is great with a nice slice of bread

BennysMommy

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 9:56 am
There's a really fresh salad that I make sometimes with fresh dill. Cut up tomatoes into wedges. Cut onions into the same size pieces. Dress with lemon juice, a bit of olive oil, salt and lots of fresh dill. It's very light and refreshing!

Also, definitely add tons of dill to your chicken soup!

I love dill but it's very hard to find fresh dill here:(

NativeMom

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 9:59 am
theres also a russian cucumber salad that uses dill
I don't have the measurements but I dont usually worry about measurements
chop a bunch of cucumbers, radishes and red onion
add mayo, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and dill
mix it all up and serve

Fabulous

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 10:00 am
Thanks so much. To tell you the truth I don't really like dill too much, especially not in soup, but the recipe for the salmon was very good. So I think my best bet is the freezing option, which I never thought of and will use it for dill dip or this salmon again later. Thanks again.

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 10:00 am
How do you check dill for bugs? ( Sorry I know it's OT.)

I also have a bundle sitting in the fridge, I was going to make a dill/anise salad
on R"H but had no time to check it...

NativeMom

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 10:02 am
I usually let it soak in bowl of water for a little while then rinse it

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 10:04 am
NativeMom wrote:
I usually let it soak in bowl of water for a little while then rinse it

same, but I go over the sprigs too.

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 11:11 am
I soak the dill or other herbs as cilantro or parsley in soapy water for a few minutes, before rinsing and checking. agitate in water, and check the water afterwards. use a clear or white bowl for this. I recall reading that this should be done three times.

I wasn't using the alei katif ones because of shmittah, although now I found out that our Vaad haKashrus says it could be used. ( it's grown as matza menutak - somehow not in the ground- so most authorities hold that laws of shviis don't apply to that, but I didn't receive clear information about how our Rabbonim hold about that till late in the year)

When using alei katif, soak in soapy water, and rinse stalks separately, but no checking necessary afterward AFAIK. Correct me if I'm wrong about the checking.

ABC

Post Fri, Nov 14 2008, 4:44 am
what does iso mean?

BennysMommy

Post Fri, Nov 14 2008, 6:09 am
TzenaRena wrote:
I soak the dill or other herbs as cilantro or parsley in soapy water for a few minutes, before rinsing and checking. agitate in water, and check the water afterwards. use a clear or white bowl for this. I recall reading that this should be done three times.

I do the same thing but I usually still see bugs after three times so I continue until the water is clean.

sarahd

Post Fri, Nov 14 2008, 6:40 am
ISO means in search of.

I check dill by banging the whole bunch sharply on a white surface. If there are bugs, you will usually see them strolling around on your surface. If I see bugs, I don't bother continuing to check; I just put the dill in a garni bag and use it for soup. Otherwise, I do the salted/vinegared/soaped water thing.

sky

Post Fri, Nov 14 2008, 8:35 am
Tamiri wrote:
Oh, and BTW: I bring the dill home and rinse it. I take out the yellow sprigs and whatever doesn't look right, then chop the whole bunch and freeze it. This way, there is no waste and I have dill whenever I want it. The only thing is that I keep it in a plastic Ziploc and if I don't close it well, dill goes all over the freezer. I just cleaned out a bunch of leaves today.

Thanks for the idea! I'm for sure going to try that.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 6:46 am
You can chop the dill and freeze in a small ziplock bag.
As for recipe for using extras, you can mix it into rice (after it's cooked) with green peas
and sauteed onions. It's subtle, not too overwhelming.

meirav

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 7:19 am
I love dill. I know OPs dill must be bad by now, but I'm sure this will be useful for someone, because they come in big bags.

Make dill dip - mayo, garlic powder, dill. If you like it runnier, add a little vinegar and sugar. Tastes yum with challah.

Yummy in soups, especially creamy ones.

sped

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 3:03 am
Can someone tell me the exact measurements for a dill dip? I would like to try it but am not too great at guessing these things. Thanks

meirav

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 3:28 am
hmmm... I just take as much mayo as I want, put in dill until it is really Messed with green, add garlic powder, taste, add more garlic powder, taste....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics