Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Laser Hair Removal for Men by a man

amother

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 4:15 pm
My dh would like to do laser hair removal on his cheeks where his beard is growing up. He found a place which does it, but it's done by a woman. He'd be more comfortable doing it by a male technician.

Does anyone know of any men who do laser hair removal?
Thanks.

lubaussie

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 9:33 pm
Are you/he aware of the risks involved? Why does he want to do it?

stem

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 9:36 pm
This may not be what you were looking to hear, but my understanding is that it's assur for a man to remove hair from anywhere in his body, especially the face.

gryp

Post Thu, Nov 13 2008, 10:18 pm
Yeah, it says that.

devowitz

Post Fri, Nov 14 2008, 1:34 am
stem wrote:
This may not be what you were looking to hear, but my understanding is that it's assur for a man to remove hair from anywhere in his body, especially the face.

No, it isn't. Only the armpits and pubic areas are assur. From the face of course he is allowed, frum men shave all the time.

Crayon210

Post Sat, Nov 15 2008, 11:20 pm
I don't think it would be that easy to find a rav who would permit a man to permanently remove hair from his body. It's not the same thing as shaving, it's a uniquely feminine thing to remove hair in that way.

someoneoutthere

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 12:05 am
devowitz wrote:
stem wrote:

No, it isn't. Only the armpits and pubic areas are assur. From the face of course he is allowed, frum men shave all the time.

Yeah, frum men shave all the time...but do you have any idea how many restrictions there are on it? Those who permit shaving only permit it with an electric shaver, so as not to be cutting the hair from under the skin (some are more 'machmir' and leave a millimeter of stubble on the face), how much more of an issue it would be with laser. This is without even touching the fact that lechatchila one should not shave their beard at all.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 12:22 am
I'm the OP.
Thanks everyone for your replies, but I did not intend to turn this into a halachic discussion. My husband will ask a shailah, but he claims that this part of the face is not usually where hair grows and he is therefore very uncomfortable with it.

Now getting back to my original question, does anyone know of a male who does laser hair removal for men? It does not have to be a Jewish techinician.

pomegranate

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 1:22 am
devowitz wrote:
stem wrote:

are they allowed to shave under the arm?

Crayon210

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 6:16 pm
No.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 9:20 pm
someoneoutthere wrote:
devowitz wrote:
stem wrote:

Yeah, frum men shave all the time...but do you have any idea how many restrictions there are on it? Those who permit shaving only permit it with an electric shaver, so as not to be cutting the hair from under the skin (some are more 'machmir' and leave a millimeter of stubble on the face), how much more of an issue it would be with laser. This is without even touching the fact that lechatchila one should not shave their beard at all.

actually, many people say the issur is shaving and will use depilatory creams instead of shavers.

anonymom

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 11:01 pm
I don't think anyone mentioned the thing about dulling the blades on electric shavers.

yaminsmom

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 9:13 am
check online by your zip code and see if any male technicians or practices come up. I currently get laser hair removal on my legs and I have never see any males where I go but I know that men get it done but I think they just go to woman. if you dont find a man I would ask you rav if he can go to a woman. I would think it should be ok bc it no different than a dr and she doenst touch you she just goes over the area with the laser and its definitly not derech chiba.
good luck! I wish my husband would do it also!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 5:34 pm
devowitz wrote:
stem wrote:

OP here.
I asked a posek on the Internet, and he quoted this from a well-knows Rav. So it's permitted to remove hair from the face, but not underarms or pubic area.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 8:19 am
DH and DS use a haircutting device, not shavers. Many Israeli poskim are machmir.

(OP - I know this isn't what you asked. I'm answering others who brought it up.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics