Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
School deadlines

amother

Post Mon, Dec 26 2005, 12:43 pm
My 3 yr old is in nursery and is 1 wk passed the school's deadline and even though she is doing well and is displaying age appropriate cognitive skills and social emotionally as well the principal still wants her to repeat nursery based on her age saying well she is a yr younger than most of the class when in reality she is just a month or 2 younger than most of her grade. I wouldnt really push her ahead if not for her teachers merely mimicking the principal and not able to show me one ligitamate skill that she lacks or any reason social emotionally other than her dob which btw other children have slipped threw even with later b days than my daughter's . Any ideas on how to convince the school other than with padding their wallet? In all reality if she needs to repeat a grade I prefer it be kindergarten where way more usefull skills are learned.

timeout

Post Mon, Dec 26 2005, 3:14 pm
Just keep in mind that Kindergarten has a lot more Structured time. If you're child can't sit or if she doesn't want to do an activity in Nursery it's alot easier in Kindergarten they push the children to learn more and play less.

SMG

Post Mon, Dec 26 2005, 3:19 pm
My situation is the opposite. My daughter makes the deadline by exactly a week. She is a very bright and creative 4 year old, and it works okay for her because she is in a small school with a small class (only 7 kids), but last year she was the youngest of 24 students and there were some very pronounced developmental gaps between her and the other students. I would investigate, how many other children are close in age to your child? Is there another student moving on who is only a few weeks older but within the deadline or is there a space of a few months? If your child is right on target for their age, but months behind the other kids, it can make a big difference, but if there are only those few weeks then you might want to push harder since at that point your child will have a age/developmental peer group within the class. At that age, weeks and months can make a difference.

raizy

Post Mon, Jan 02 2006, 9:38 pm
I had the same dilimma with my son he was born on the deadline he could have gone up or down. but since they didnt want him in the down class they pushed him in the up class. well I begged and begged after the first yr to leave him down onther yr the princeaple didnt want to listhen. well then after the second yr we knew that he wasnt keeping up. so we kept him down onther yr. I am so mad. and this happened a yr ago. he has atleast 5 kids who are older then him... why did they choose him to stay up if there were other kids who were older who were alowed to stay down..

anyways now he is doing beatyfull with his age group. if I would have to do it again with anther child I would put him/her in a lower class. also try to have your kids after the deadline... LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers