Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
When/how to stop baby food jars?

stargazer

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 1:25 pm
My baby (11 months) loves them and I am trying to get him to eat more real food, but sometimes he is hungry and won't eat anything I offer except for baby food. Also its so much easier to just send a jar to the babysitter rather than figuring out what food to send.
At what age was your baby only eating real food?
Did your baby switch on his own or did you have to "wean" him/her?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 1:53 pm
by 10 months my son was eating meaballs, egg, sandwhiches etc.... and sometimes my homemade puree of veggies and chicken.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 2:00 pm
around 1 year, dd was very interested in self feeding then and basically didn't turn back once I gave her something not out of the jar...

I don't know how long you've been trying, but I'd say keep trying for a little bit longer (ie. a week or two) and throw in variety bc maybe he doesn't like certain flavors/textures as much as the mush. Also, are you offerring him what you are eating? When dd isn't interested I just show her I'm having the same thing and then it becomes interesting to her.

If he's not becoming any more interested after that, run it by your pediatrician and see if he should be evaluated for SI problems...it's not that scary, his mouth just might be very sensitive to how certain things feel and he doesn't like how non-mush feels so much, but things like that can be desensitized, etc.

Or maybe he is teething and the pressure from the new foods hurts more than relieves the pain?

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 2:07 pm
I have maybe fed my kids a few jars each. They won't eat baby food.

For me delaying solids till about 9 months old means that they also want to feed themselves. My kids rarely ever let me feed them. So for my son who is 10 months old, he is only eating real food.

Also since my kids are exclusively breastfed, they won't take bottles. So my 10 month old eats real food but only drinks breastmilk. BTW he has 9 teeth, so he wants to use them.

pinktichel

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 3:22 pm
I have the same question. Dd is 10 months with no teeth. What can I give her aside from chicken/vegie puree, oatmeal, and jars?

I have another question, but I don't want to hijack this thread... I'll post it in another topic.

sky

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 3:33 pm
try canned veggies. I give my son canned corn or peas , they don't have a lot of salt, and sometimes mixed veggies, but those do have salt. It gives him the chance to try vegetables with more texture and he has fun feeding himself.
You can also cut bananas into spears and let him feed himself.
Without teeth its unbelievable what they can still eat. They tear a lot of it up with their gums. I give him slightly toasted bread and cheerios and he loves that.
Also, you can dice soft veggies from the chicken soup or potatoes from the cholent and let him eat it that way. It has a lot of flavor from cooking.

I find when ds feeds himself he enjoys it so much more (and makes a huge Mess)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics