Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Double Stroller Dillema

TightRopeWalker

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 5:51 pm
I have looked through all the stroller threads already. I'm still in a quandary. I have a one month old and a 20 month old. I was trying to find a double stroller that was good for heavy walking, took an infant car seat, and was still portable enough to go in and out of my car. I also would need both seats to recline, as my 20 month old still tends to sleep in the stroller at times. After much searching I have not found a stroller that meets all my criteria. I have come to terms with the fact that I will most likely need to purchase two strollers. Which stroller would work best for the car? I need it to be relatively lightweight, accommodate an infant car seat, and the ability to recline the toddler as well. I don't want to spend a ton as I know the jogger I'll eventually buy will most likely be expensive, but I don't want something that will break in a week either. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

chaylizi

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 6:12 pm
if you want one stroller, I think the valco latitude might do it. it's car seat compatible & light weight.

if you're going to do two (which is what I did). I would get a baby jogger/mountain buggy/bumbleride for the big stroller & a baby jogger city mini for the car. the car seat attachment will be out in january for all the bj doubles.

my kids ages are similar to yours, so I know the dilemma. I have a 21 monther & a 7 weeker. I needed an AT stroller for the lousy weather and streets here in suburbia & something light for the car.

TightRopeWalker

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 6:24 pm
Baby Jogger had delayed the attachments availability until February. I'm not sure I can wait that long. Any other ideas? I also think it's big and kind of expensive for a car stroller, but I'm not ruling it out yet. Thanks.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 6:27 pm
baby jogger has the lightest available car strollers. not sure how much smaller you think you can get. maclarens are heavier & they push like a wounded animal. I just sold one on ebay in the summer. you could always get a graco or a kolcraft contours. those aren't so expensive or light. or a combi or perego aria- but those aren't cheap.why don't you look on ebay or craigslist if a car stroller is so important for you. otherwise just get an AT stroller & do the best you can.

TightRopeWalker

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 1:06 am
Thank you for your input. I did not realize all those strollers are heavier than the City Mini. I wish that the car seat attachment was coming out sooner. The guy at Buy Buy Baby said they keep delaying it. Do you have any idea how much the Kolcraft weighs. I can't find the info anywhere. It seems as if the Combi and Aria are car seat compatible with only their car seats, but I am not sure. They both weigh slightly less than the City Mini. What pushed you in that direction for a car stroller as opposed to the others? The more research I do the more confused I get.

Martini

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 1:22 am
I feel the Maclaren is the best for the car. It folds compact, it's neat and nice. If ur anyways getting 2 strollers I would definitely look into the maclaren. The baby jogger I would do if I would only take one. I really don't see why you need a baby jogger and a big stroller. If you wanna buy an expensive top of the line stroller they sell now the boulgster (not sure how you spell it). They only sell it in Europe and some ppl bring it in privately for a ton of $. But it's an amazing stroller!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 11:12 am
CL -- Combis are not so expensive, not more than a BJCMD for sure. Especially if you get a previous year's model. Their car seats are expensive though, so if you don't have one and want to use it with a car seat, it'll be another $160 or so.

I agree with the Valco Twin Lat idea.
Alternatively (though I wouldn't buy this stroller, personally) there is a Zooper Tango, but it's heavy and I'm not sure it's worth the money.
But those are ideas for one stroller to reasonably do it all.

Gracos are heavy, but cheap enough for the car....

chaylizi

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 11:58 am
a maclaren is no good for Op, unless she changed her mind about car seat compatibility.

the tango is too wide for standard doorways (at least that's what they say & most people complain about them long & loud on the stroller boards)

my reasoning for two strollers is snow & lots of walking. I live in the suburbs. a stroller with 8 inch wheels & no tires would make sure I stayed indoors all winter.

OP, I changed my mind. Either get a valco latitude or a phil and ted (which also takes a car seat btw) whichever flavor you want & forget about the two stroller thing.

sky

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 12:41 pm
I love my Phil & Ted and used it a lot with 2 kids and the car seat adapter (they don't recommend but I used every day for 3 months and had no problem) But I would not want to take it in and out of my car regularly. In the bassinet mode it is not too hard, with the car seat adapter there are 2 things to attach so it takes a little longer.

It also does not recline. both kids sleep in it - but they are both good sleepers.

I would evaluate what you need it for the car for. I use it in the car for vacation type outings and those are not more then once a week. All other times I mostly use shopping carts, or my single graco and make ds #1 walk. I don't find that I need a double in my car so often.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 12:44 pm
sky wrote:
or my single graco and make ds #1 walk. I don't find that I need a double in my car so often.

how old is your older son? OP said her older child is 20 months. my older baby is 21 months & unless we're going into the dr's office, I take my double everywhere. that's why I have a double. so I don't have chase my little monkey daredevil everywhere.

sky

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 1:03 pm
my 2 boys are 18 months apart. ds #1 didn't even get shoes until he was 17 months.

It depends on your lifestyle. I don't go shopping and walk down a block from one store to another. I have to drive between them so I don't pop out a double unless I really need to.
At supermarkets I use the carts provided for both kids.
I really try to get ds #1 to walk. It is not always possible.

What about a sit 'n stand for the car. A lot of them take carseats.

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 1:09 pm
We had three: a big noncollapsible "limo" with big wheels, great for shopping and distance walking for home, and two inexpensive collapsible numbers that would go in the trunk for travel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics