Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Some very basic questions about Yerushalayim

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 11:47 am
Hey,
Once upon a time I knew Yerushalayim like the back of my hand.
Well, I am sorry to say its now been a long time since I spent any significant time there and so I need a little help in planning an upcoming trip!

I will be there for work in a couple of months and my job booked me a room at the Moriah Gardens Hotel near the Israel museum (I think).

How do I get from that area to Ben Yehudah/Mea Shearim area by bus? Once I get to the downtown area or even by the Shuk I should know where I am no problem.

Also, how much is a bus trip these days? Do you need exact change?

I've always taken buses there and would really feel silly taking cabs.

Thanks in advance!

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 3:03 pm
I don't live in Yerushalayim and I don't take busses but I didn't want your post to be ignored.

I'll tell you this - Yerushalayim is a MESS these days transportation wise because of the light rail tracks they are building on Yaffo. I have no idea how you could get from the shuk to Meah Shearim. Walking is probably your best bet!!! In any event, you do not need exact change on the bus. Don't know the price either.

Rotsa ruck!

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 3:47 pm
Thanks for your help.

Is there anyone out that can answer my questions???

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 3:57 pm
DiznyIma wrote:
Hey,
Once upon a time I knew Yerushalayim like the back of my hand.
Well, I am sorry to say its now been a long time since I spent any significant time there and so I need a little help in planning an upcoming trip!

I will be there for work in a couple of months and my job booked me a room at the Moriah Gardens Hotel near the Israel museum (I think).

How do I get from that area to Ben Yehudah/Mea Shearim area by bus? Once I get to the downtown area or even by the Shuk I should know where I am no problem.

Also, how much is a bus trip these days? Do you need exact change?

I've always taken buses there and would really feel silly taking cabs.

Thanks in advance!

the bus, I am almost sure, is 5.60 shekels. you do not need exact change. I cant tell you what bus though as I no longer live in j'lem and dont remember the bus routes.

mamacita

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 4:49 pm
I think the 9 went from that area, but like Chossidmom said, they have changed all the bus routes around to accommodate the train construction. Basically, once you get to the hotel, find a busstop and look for mention of either the tachana merkazit (central bus station) or merkaz ha'ir (city center).

enjoy your visit!

Marion

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 1:39 am
Where is that hotel? Is that the one that used to be a Sheraton 4 Seasons, near the Renaissance? I don't know of any hotels closer to the museum than those.

In any case, if it is, you can walk out to Herzl (good luck) and take any of the busses that go to Tachana Merkazit (except the 27)...they go to the shuk too. I will agree that the best way to get to Meah Shearim or Geula from the shuk is to walk. Much faster. You *could* also take the #11, 35, 39, 25, or 45 to the first or 2nd stop on Strauss, but be aware that not all the busses stop at all the stops.

hila

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 1:46 am
It is about a 10 minute walk to teh shuk from there I think. Or go to the last stop before teh bus station on Sderot Herzl.

Maybe meet some imamothers while you are here.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 1:48 am
I don't understand what the big deal is. You will be staying at a hotel (I also can't place that one) where people will surely speak English if that is what you need. You can ask all your questions when you get here. Even if you are told something today, with all the traffic changes and route alternatives - what you are told may change by tomorrow!

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 1:59 am
ok, I looked it up and it is on vilnay street, for anyone who knows where that is and can help the OP.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 2:05 am
Yeah, it's where Marion said. It must have changed it's name again. So she can walk up to Herzl and she can walk to the shuk easily.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 3:01 am
A bus is 5.60 you don't need exact change but it would be appreciated and would save money. You can purchase a cartisiya - a bus pass with ten rides that get punched every time you get on a bus - it's about 45 NIS. Yes, there is a lot of work being done on Yafo. But most of the work is beind done still after the shuk, so a bus from Herzel (about two minutes walk from your hotel including traffic lights) would take you there in five or ten min. walking - depends on how fit you are would be closer to 15 min.
To BenYehuda, you'd be better off taking the bus to the shuk and walk from their. If you have time or it's cold and rainy, you can just sit on the bus for the half an hour it will take you to get to King George. To Mea Shearim, also you are better off walking, but the buses still run, just a little more traffic than usual, they turn off to Haneviim street at the Davidka.
What you should probably do is log onto the Egged site (egged.co.il) and check out their bus routes.
Enjoy your stay.

Mrs.K

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 3:06 am
I was told it will be 6.20 in the near future. OP, you should know that the prices go up pretty often so even if it's 5.60 now, if you're coming in a couple of months....

While you don't need exact change, you should know that many drivers do not enjoy accommodating large bills, or simply don't have the change for you.

Marion

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 3:23 am
By law they must take bills, and they ALL have change. However, for a 5 shekel fare it's just not nice to show up with a 200 shekel bill. Seriously, though, consider a cartisiya. Also, if you need to take more than one bus to get somewhere, you can ask for a transfer fare "cartisiyat ma'avar". It costs about a shekel more than a regular fare, but it means you don't pay again on the 2nd bus.

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 10:18 am
Thanks so much for all of your help. Yes that is the hotel.

I do know how to walk from the shuk to Mea Shearim/Geula and the Ben Yehudah area, so if I can get a bus there I think it will be fine.

I would rather NOT rely on the info from the hotel. They will probably convince me to take a cab, which I do not want to do! I also really don't mind walking. I am a busy working Ima and I know that I will cherish this peaceful time alone! There is also something very special about walking the streets of Jerusalem, for those of us that do not get the chance to do it all the time. I just didnt know if this hotel was walking distance of the downtown area since all the travel reviews that I have read seem to indicate that it is not.

My Hebrew is good enough to read the bus signs, so I think I will walk out to Herzl and then find a bus that looks like it is going where I am going!

I also asked about the fair because I remember grumpy bus drivers that did not feel like giving change.
What can I say, I am the kind of person that likes to know what I am doing before I arrive.

shininglight

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 10:49 am
egged.co.il has a lot of the bus routes, if that helps.

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 11:03 am
The bus cost 5.70. I ride in Y-m every week. I personally would walk to the Tachana merkazit on a nice day but you can take the 9. The shuk is in the other direction but streets make it further. Taking cabs is not only unnecessary but it will cost you like 40-50 shekel because of the traffic mess on Agrippas and Yafo.

From TM there are many buses to the shuk.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics