Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning lady took home book

canadamom

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 1:18 pm
A few minutes b/4 my cleaning lady left I noticed a book on the couch under her jacket. I was wondering how it got there from my bedroom closet, (An old mary higgens clark book) Anyway now she left and the book is gone and it's not in my closet. I know she took it home. In general she is reliable and cleans well and she has worked for me for 2 years. I don't have much conversation with her ... Do you think I should confront her? What should I say? I can't afford to lose her, but I don't want her stealing either

AMMom

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 1:24 pm
If you really want to keep employing a thief (today it's a book, what is it tomorrow?) I think you should say "I noticed that you took my book. I don't mind letting you borrow it but could you please ask first next time?"

mama-star

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 7:04 pm
that's very awkward - keep us posted as to how it all unfolds. I don't think it would be worth keeping her if you davka knows she steals... Sad

Pineapple

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 7:08 pm
Maybe ask her if she saw the book and see how she reacts or what she says

mommalah

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 8:01 pm
I think you might be jumping to conclusions...Of all the things to steal, a book??? She probably just forgot to put it back in its place. You could just innocently ask her, "Have you seen my book?"

bandcm

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 8:06 pm
Maybe she just wants to read it and is embarassed to ask you.
When I was about six, I had a friend who had a room full of books, and I didn't know how to ask to borrow, so I used to just take a book, and when I next went to her house, return it to the shelf. After a few such incidents she asked me if I am borrowing her books, I said yes, and she said OK. (And if she or her sister Raizy is on here she will be rolling on the floor.)
I wasn't stealing, just didn't know how one goes about borrowing something.
I know your cleaner is not six, but if she is very simple, she might have a similar mentality, without meaning to steal at all.

canadamom

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 8:08 pm
Ok so she was here today and me being a coward I didn't confront her.... Rolling Eyes I just hate starting with new cleaning ladies. I watched her today and I don't think she took anything...

(btw about stealing a book I heard of a cleaning lady that was taking home underwear, water bottles...)

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 8:08 pm
books are notorious for being in a different category in peoples minds. most people would not dream of borrowing an object and not returning it, but whenit is a book, they will happily forget about it for years and years. my parents will not lend out books because of this.

SuperMama

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 8:18 pm
AMMom wrote:
If you really want to keep employing a thief (today it's a book, what is it tomorrow?) I think you should say "I noticed that you took my book. I don't mind letting you borrow it but could you please ask first next time?"

I don't think it's good to accuse. I would just say to her that if she ever wants to borrow anything like a tablecloth or towels or a book she could ask you and you'd be pleased to help her. Then tell her, btw have you seen my ____ book lately? I can't find it. This will really shock her. See if she brings it back the next day.

Not to scare you or anything, but my cousin's cleaning lady started with stealing small things "testing the situation" then got to BIG things, but we don't know your cleaning lady's intentions. Maybe her kid needed it for school... Maybe she likes to read. Either way, she should not have stolen.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry