Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Help need new ideas for chicken for shabbat

birdstar

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 8:35 pm
My husband just invited 6 extra people for shabbat dinner. So instead of making cornish hens on my vertical
roaster for 8. I am now making cut up chicken for 14. I need something easy but impressive and not too sweet. It cant have any gluten as our nephew is autistic and and on a gluten free diet. Thanks for any ideas

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 8:39 pm
I don't know about gluten, you'll have to use your judgment, but

3/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp each of mustard, bbq sauce, soy sauce. mix, pour on chicken, bake. you'll probably need double the amount for that amount of chicken.

you could also pour italian dressing or a world harbor marinade on the chicken and bake it.

or you can just spice it and bake. cinnamon and onion powder are a very interesting spice combination on chicken.

canadamom

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 8:43 pm
garlic roasted chicken:
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup mustard
1 Tbsp. of oil
4 mashed frozen garlic cubes (or a lot of garlic powder)
1 Tbsp. honey
mix well smear on chicken, pour a small amt. of water in pan, cover tightly and bake for 2 hrs. at 350 and for 15 minutes uncovered

oh I was never on a gluten free diet so I'm not exactly sure what that means hope this is ok

Nomad

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 12:45 am
my sil gave me a recipe for chicken thats yumm

rice krispies
dried parsley
dried oregano
salt
pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
eggs

crush rice krispies in a bag, mix in spices to taste (I went heavy on the spices - but it came out really good). dunk chicken (any kind, cutlets...on the bone, whatver) in egg. then dunk in rice krispies. bake uncovered. it comes out crunchy and delicious. I think rice krispies have no gluten but im not sure.

tovasmom

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 12:59 am
FYI, make sure to check the ingredients on the soy sauce if you use it, bec. most do have wheat and would not be suitable for a gluten free diet. In the US, La Choy makes one with no wheat. Ditto for the rice krispies. Regular rice krispies have something called barley malt extract which has gluten and would likewise not be suitable. Some organic rice krispies, like the Erewohn crisp rice cereal, is a suitable substitute. I know this bec. my dd has to be gluten free as she has celiac disease. I often make potato chip chicken for my dd, which would involve dredging the chicken in beaten egg and then crushed potato chips and baking like I would bake a similar cornflake chicken recipe -- 350 F for about 1 hr 15 mins uncovered. You can either drizzle with melted margarine or not to make it crispier -- the recipe I had said to do so, but I find the chips are greasy enough that it gets crispy in the oven without. Read the potato chip ingredients to make sure there is nothing besides potatoes, oil and salt. Plain chips are usually OK. Flavored chips like BBQ can get tricky.

birdstar

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 10:33 am
Thank you for your ideas. My DS came home from College today and he found an orange glazed chicken recipe from KBD that he volunteered to make while I am at work tomorrow. He also is making the mashed carrots and maybe some mashed parsnips to go along with it. Wow teaching all my boys to cook really pays off sometimes.
Again thank you for your suggestions and I will try some of your recipes another time. Tovasmom, I know about the gluten in soy and in rice crispies and you are absolutely right. I check for all that whenever they are coming for dinner. We do have challot but my sil brings a special roll that is gluten free for her son. He is now 15 and sometimes he sneaks bread or cookies so we know it wont kill him but it makes him very hyper.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Dec 19 2008, 2:57 am
Btw, another mashed idea is cauliflower, it comes out amazing. I boil it and then sautee it with spices on a low flame, add some breadcrumbs and it becomes mush as you mix it. Delish! Unfortunately dh doesn't go for it, oh well, sigh...

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 19 2008, 5:33 am
I don't even like mashed potatoes ... so I make smash potatoes instead ... just more chunky ... I never heard of smashing carrots or cauliflower ...

I like a guy that could cook ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus