Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Do latkes freeze well?

cb

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 7:32 pm
I want to make a big batch in one time and freeze it, does it freeze well?

Pineapple

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 7:34 pm
Yes

canadamom

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 7:34 pm
depends on what you mean by "freeze well" there is nothing like fresh latkes sizzeling from the pan but maybe there is a speacial way to reheat them. Confused

Pineapple

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 7:36 pm
canadamom wrote:
depends on what you mean by "freeze well" there is nothing like fresh latkes sizzeling from the pan but maybe there is a speacial way to reheat them. Confused

There is I just have to find the email I once got about reheating latkes

dillie

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 7:37 pm
After you make them, freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. When they are frozen, stick them in a ziploc bag. Reheat in a single layer, uncovered, in a HOT oven, they'll sizzle up and smell and taste like you just made them- except you won't be standing over a frying pan, instead you will be enjoying the party. Happy chanuka!

cb

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 7:37 pm
thanks
I hope to be making them motzoe shabbos

anonymom

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 10:43 pm
What dillie said, plus you can also spray some cooking spray on them while reheating, it makes them more crispy.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 10:47 pm
I personaly would not-best when fresh.

ss321

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 11:33 pm
I personally dont think so. I think they freeze horribly and Ive tried every trick in the book. there is nothing like a sizzling hot fresh latke crunchy and all. no matter what ive done after defrosting htey are always a bit soggy and who wants soggy latkes Confused

Blair

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 11:49 pm
I would not freeze them it's the same as potato kugel which never tastes the same once frozen. FRESH is the best. It's worth it for my family and guests

birdstar

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 6:30 pm
dont defrost them put them in the oven while frozen and cook them for about 10 minutes at 350 F they will crisp up great we did this on sunday for 100 latkes for our family chanukah party and they were wonderful.
If I tried to make them all fresh I would have been cooking from 2 hours before the party and straight through and never had a chance to enjoy myself

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 6:32 pm
I just servved tonight latkes that had been frozen and defrosted, and I put them in the oven for 10-20 minutes. I was told by one guest that they were the best latkes he had tasted!

cb

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 7:47 pm
I made them but ended up just keeping it in the fride, every night I just warm it up 10 min.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus