Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Donut holes in school

Toot

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 7:08 pm
I want to make donut holes in school with my class (8th grade girls) as a fun project during Chanukah. So my questions are:
1) Does anyone have an easy, preferably 1 bowl recipe for donut holes? I found some things online, but does anyone have one that's tried and true?
2) Is it realistic to make donut holes in a frying pan, is that deep enough? (That's what the school has, no pots)
3) What's the best way to pipe jelly into donut holes?
4) Does this idea have Disaster written all over it??

Thanks!

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 7:14 pm
I recommend you do it without the jelly. too much work.

a frying pan will work, but you have to keep a close eye on them. you're less likely to mess up with full sized donuts. use any donut recipe.

good luck!

one point: in sixth grade we made latkes with one teacher. the frying ended up taking too long, so the next teacher who came in had to deal with frying the rest of the batch. please check with the next teacher to make sure that A) she doesn't mind if you can't finish on your own, and B) she knows how to fry things. our second teacher kept asking us when she should flip the latkes, and there was a noticeable difference between those fried by the first teacher and those fried by the second.

soldat

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 7:17 pm
are you interested in a yeast free recipe?

Toot

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 7:40 pm
Update: Found an easy recipe online, did it in school today, and it worked out beautifully!

realeez

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 10:46 pm
Can you please share the recipe?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 10:54 pm
Aren't donut holes those pieces that they cut out from the middle of the donut and fry it separately? How do you make only donut holes?

bashinda

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 2:52 pm
I'm going to be IY"H making a version of "doughnut holes". I'm going to make little balls and zeh-oh! I hope! If it doesn't work out this year I think that's it. It's funny because I'm planning on using a 10" frying pan instead of using so much oil. Glad it worked out so nicely, OP!

Toot

Post Wed, Dec 24 2008, 7:44 pm
Donut holes are the dough cut from the inside of donuts, but I just did what bashinda did - dropped little balls into the oil. Here's the recipe I used:

2 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. oil

Mix dry ingredients. Stir in buttermilk, oil and eggs. Beat
with a fork. Drop by teaspoon in hot fat. Cook 3 minutes
until brown. Can be coated with granulated sugar.

When I tested it at home, I did the recipe exactly (I used milk+vinegar instead of buttermilk). You can really taste the nutmeg, which I wasn't crazy about. In school, we just used regular milk (I think it was 1%) and substituted cinnamon for nutmeg, which was good. We decorated some with glaze (milk+confectioners sugar) and sprinkles, some with just confectioners sugar, and some with sugar+cinnamon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics