Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Logistics of moving to the US from Israel
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 9:11 am
I paid 600 for a basement apt in flatbush not so long ago. Have prices changed drastically since then?
I pay 550 for an apt now.

Mrs.K

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 9:27 am
amother wrote:
I paid 600 for a basement apt in flatbush not so long ago. Have prices changed drastically since then?

600??? Goodness!
Like I said, my friend's basement apartments were $1500 and the whole thing was smaller then my living room here in Israel! (and my living room is NOT big!) I don't know maybe you lived away from a main avenue? Or maybe your landlord was just a generous person!

chaylizi

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 9:29 am
if you want info on greencard/immigration stuff or foreign dh's working in the US, you can pm me.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 9:31 am
Mrs.K wrote:
amother wrote:

600??? Goodness!
Like I said, my friend's basement apartments were $1500 and the whole thing was smaller then my living room here in Israel! (and my living room is NOT big!) I don't know maybe you lived away from a main avenue? Or maybe your landlord was just a generous person!
it was n and 13th 3 years ago. really generous landlord? you sure?

rb

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 10:00 am
amother wrote:
Mrs.K wrote:
amother wrote:

600??? Goodness!
it was n and 13th 3 years ago. really generous landlord? you sure?

You can easily get a $600 basement apartment in Flatbush. Obviously it would be a very small apartment, with a bedroom and kitchen.

Mrs.K

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 10:02 am
A small bedroom and a "kitchenette" was all my friend had as well for $1500. Guess she got taken for a ride...

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 10:49 am
When I was looking at basement apartments in Flatbush - over 5 years ago - we saw some basements that were in the $600 range, and they were soooo small. Basically just a bedroom and kitchenette.

Sure, sometimes you can find good deals, but they are few and far between. I'd say that most decent sized basements are going to cost at least $800, which is what I paid for a basement on O and E 15th.

I had a friend that paid $800 for a LARGE 2 bedroom attic apartment 4 years ago. Even then, it was a great deal.

I have a friend now that's paying $1000 for a teeny 2 bedroom apartment. She has to walk up a huge flight of stairs to the apartment, there's no dining room - they have to eat in the kitchen, and the living room is very small. And they feel like they're getting a deal. For the same price in Baltimore, you can get a much larger two bedroom apartment, and not have to search for parking.

rb

Post Fri, Jan 02 2009, 10:39 am
Mrs.K wrote:
A small bedroom and a "kitchenette" was all my friend had as well for $1500. Guess she got taken for a ride...

Not sure of the difference between a "kitchenette" and a kitchen. Obviously a $900 difference! LOL

I paid $550 for a very nice small basement apartment in the heart of Flatbush (6 years ago)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics