Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Urgent. need advice to calm itchiness on infant.

pacifier

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 8:33 pm
it seems that besides eggs, my baby is also allergic to soy formula.
now he has a big red rash on his face, and it seems very itchy.
he scratches himself, and cannot calm down.........

I cannot give him benadryl since he s just turning 3 months.
what can I do for tonight?

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 8:41 pm
you should call your pharmacy and ask ... or else your pediatrician ...

what about benadryl topical cream ...

pacifier

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 8:43 pm
you can put that the face of on a 3 month old infant?

he s so in pain, poor baby

canadamom

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 8:48 pm
try smearing on aveeno oatmeal lotion, I'm pretty sure it's safe for babies.
go to the pharmacy and see what your options are
Refuah Shelaimah!

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 8:50 pm
oooh poor baby! Def call the ped or the pharmacist for a recommendation.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 9:04 pm
Oy, I'm so sorry for what you're going through......I've been there, very tough....

you may try putting your baby in a bath with olive oil 3-5 min. to give the skin some moisture to relieve the itchyness. while the skin is still damp, promptly apply a moisturizer (aquafor, eucerin, clear cream)or emollient — an ointment, or lotion, it locks in the body's own moisture. only use mild soaps (dove) because any harsh soaps dry up the skin even more.

I've tried it, it worked wonders....

my baby also has allergies and her skin also itched from certain detergents and soaps that had frangrances...u might want to try to avoid those too

pacifier

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 9:09 pm
canadamom wrote:
try smearing on aveeno oatmeal lotion, I'm pretty sure it's safe for babies.
go to the pharmacy and see what your options are
Refuah Shelaimah!

I have the aveeno lavender lotion but over the weeksi ve tried most lotions/diaper rash creams, they only exacerbate the rash.

he was getting better but I've been giving him one to 2 bottles of soy formula the past few days, and I think that's what he's reacting to.
I'll get him dairy formula first thing in the morning and pray that he s not allergic to dairy as well. (both dd and I are allergic to dairy)

for now, I've put vaseline on one of his cheeks, I hope it doesn't make it worse. but he's still scratching himself. still I think he's finally falling asleep..... (I also cleared his nose since he also get a stuffy nose from the allergy).

I read online that ice can help to cal the itchiness. what do you think?

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 9:36 pm
What about an oatmeal bath?

pacifier

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 10:45 pm
how do you make an oatmeal bath? (and how would that help for the rash on the face?)

and amother, would it be safe to put olive oil on the face?

bh, he finally fell asleep. I hope he'll go back to sleep easily after each feeding.

thank you all for your suggestions. and if you have any more ideas please share.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 10:51 pm
Aveeno makes a special oatmeal bath packet thatyou pour into the bathwater. It soothes rashes, eczema, chicken pox... You are supposed to soak init so for the face you might want to try dipping a wet washcloth in it and gently let it sit on the rash (provided its not on the eyes or mouth).

You can also cover his fingers with socks so he won't scratch himself.

Refuah Shelaima!

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 11:08 pm
pacifier wrote:
how do you make an oatmeal bath? (and how would that help for the rash on the face?)

and amother, would it be safe to put olive oil on the face?

bh, he finally fell asleep. I hope he'll go back to sleep easily after each feeding.

thank you all for your suggestions. and if you have any more ideas please share.

Sorry, I did not realize the rash was only on the face and not the body. But even so, I think it might help to gently pat the oatmeal bath water on his chin, cheeks, etc. You can buy the Aveeno stuff or just use oatmeal from your pantry. It may do damage to the bath pipes, so you can put the oatmeal in an old stocking or maybe some cheesecloth would work too.

Olive oil is safe. Castor oil is even better. It's tacky and stays on and clears up irritated skin rather quickly usually.

ruth

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 3:24 pm
Help for itchy spots:

Dab [u][b]dilute[/b][/u] cider vinegar or bicarbonate of soda on very itchy spots (one tablespoon to 1 pint/1/2 liter of water), or let a not-very-sick-child soak in a tepid bath to which a cup of vinegar or a handful of bicarbonate has been added. Or blend a cup of dry oatmeal until fine and put a handful in the bath. Since its on the face, soak a wash cloth and place on the baby's face. Breast milk might help too.
do not use vaseline or any petroleum products it will irritate the rash more, do not use zinc oxide (diaper rash cream) either. rose water is soothing and can be purchased from any pharmacy. Just dap it on.

there are several homepathic remedies that are good for this. Ask someone who is knowledgeable since it is best to take in consideration other issues and consitution of the baby. Homeopathy is completely safe for babies. If you accidently give the "wrong" remedy it merely doesn't do anything.

Rhus Tox is good for poison ivy type rashes.
Here's a link for remedies for rashes: http://www.peacehealth.org/KBA.....4.htm (be forewarned, the website is by a catholic nun order that are nurses, you won't see anything religious on this particular page though.)

Also don't use a rubber/latex nipple for a bottle or pacifier. Latex is a common allergy. Use silcon.

Refuah shlemah
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics